Chapter 43

Izzy POV

With the Queen's revelations Izzy had been left reeling, her mind going over and over what she had learned as she had fought to keep up with easy and lighter conversation with the Queen and the others that had filtered in and out of the bedroom. Only when Olivia had hesitated in the doorway, her eyes hollow, the circles pronounced against her shallow pallor, had Izzy made a move to leave, but the Queen's cool fingers held her in place as she beckoned the werewolf in. Olivia dissolved into tears as she was folded into the Queen's embrace, Kio's whimpers echoing her sobs as the big wolf nuzzled and licked Olivia's face and neck in wolfish comfort. There weren't many words, or any that Izzy could hear, but eventually Oliva quieted, her body relaxing against the Queen's, her breathing evening. They stayed like that for some time, before pulling herself together Olivia eased up wiping at her face, leaning in to hug Aislinn tightly then leaning to press a kiss to her stomach and rub her hands over the baby bump and looking up and meeting Izzy's gaze, "You can't let him blame himself."

It was the same words that had been whispered over and over to her, a promise that each of them had wrangled from her, to not let the stubborn silver haired Prince blame himself for Austin's death. They never offered how she was supposed to keep him from shouldering that responsibility and burden only that she had too.

Hours later, a fire now glowing in the sitting room, plates of food demolished and conversation dying off, Rowan reached for her, helping her up from the couch where she had curled up. The Queen dozed softly in her mate's arms, lifting his head the King nodded to them as Rowan guided her from the room. The twins each bending to brush a kiss to their sister-in-law's forehead before following her and Rowan out. Most of the others had already departed, Olivia was stretched out on the other couch sleeping fitfully, Blair who she had finally met, was one of the last besides the guardians stationed around the room that remained. Their conversation pausing as they both watched her and Rowan depart, soft farewells following them out.

Izzy let Rowan guide her down the darkened halls, her mind and body sluggish weighted down with fatigue, the exhaustion from the last few days finally catching up to her.

Rowan shouldered open a set of doors on the other side of the floor from his parents and Izzy couldn't help the sigh that slipped out at the sight of the waiting bed beyond them. Rowan laughed quietly, before turning to the twins, "Get some rest." When it was obvious they were going to protest the order, Rowan continued, "I'm sure Richard will send someone. Go. Sleep." This time he left no room for argument and though they both slid not-so-subtle glances at her, worry creasing their brows, they nodded.

Satisfied, Rowan ushered them inside closing the doors on the Twins backs. At her pointed look, he shrugged, "They'll stay until whichever Guardians Richard has sent arrive."

Now finally understanding more of not only Rowan's, but the whole Royal families story, their caution and protectiveness made far more sense. Hearing what they had already gone through, suffered, and lost, not to mention having now seen and felt the continued destruction Doyle and others were determined to bring against them she couldn't blame them either. If anything, she thought overboard should probably be the new normal.

The door closed behind her as Rowan threw the lock, his movements quiet in the dark, she hesitated as she watched him move to the wall of glass, words sticking in her throat. They hadn't spoken since the Queen had told her of Rebecca and Willow. The shock to find out that he had lost not only a mate but a sister and nearly his mother had her unsure around him once more. That type of loss and grief unlike anything she knew. She wanted to comfort him, to say something to ease the pain and guilt that had to be eating at him, but his stiff shoulders and heavy silence had her retreating. Moving towards the dressing and bathroom she spotted beyond two open doors off to the side, all she could hope was that her presence would be enough.