Chapter 39

Izzy POV

Pulling up the drive Izzy felt her heart flip in her chest, her mouth going dry as she stared through the window. This is it. Rowan's home, the Royals of the werewolf world. The words were still so bizarre, even after so many weeks with them. Even after everything she had seen and experienced, sometimes it still struck her how impossible this all was. She'd think about it, and suddenly have to rub her eyes, make sure she wasn't just dreaming, caught in a fascinating nightmare that had somehow turned into something more.

"You're nervous." Rowan chuckled from beside her.

She threw him a glare, but inside she was relieved to see the tension and weight easing from his shoulders the closer they drew to the sprawling glass and rock house that had appeared a few minutes ago in the distance. Although, house was a bit of understatement. It was modern, simple, elegant, sleek, and refined, but it was more than a house, it was a palace. Set against a backdrop of rolling tundra and stark plains that made thoughts of a Werewolf Royal Pack and Crown, a little more believable.

"Don't be." He said as she turned back to the view, not wanting to miss a second of the scenery. It was beyond anything she had ever seen. It felt different. Made her feel different.

"Yes of course, why should I be worried? They're only your parents, you know werewolves. And I'm human. Oh, and they're the freaking King and Queen, and I- "

His fingers were gentle as he caught her chin forcing her to meet his grey stare, "They're going to love you."

She wasn't as sure about that, but forced herself to return his smile as he bent to press his lips lightly to hers. It was a feather light touch just a whisper of what it could be, but even just that was enough to send her heart racing and her thoughts spinning.

They were pulling up before the stone steps that led to the towering wood doors too quickly for Izzy's comfort. The doors to the SUV opening around them the others escaping the confines they had been stuck in for the better part of three days as quickly as possible. Suddenly she found herself not minding the small dark confines at all. Ignoring the thought, she gulped down a deep breath and eased towards Rowan's waiting hand, letting him guide her down from the safety of the SUV, her feet landing on his home land with a small thud. Looking up, she was nearly knocked to the ground by the look on his face as he stared down at her. The tenderness and absolute happiness hit her like a physical blow and if it wasn't for his grip she might have truly collapsed under it.

"Come on cupcake, time to face the beasts." He said, smiling as her face twisted up in a mocking grimace.

"It's not funny!" She huffed, following him up the stone steps. Not that she had a choice in the matter, he had an iron grip on her hand, and seemed unaffected when she tried to disentangle herself to make a break for it. Not that she'd actually run, but it was a nice thought to at least have the option.

"It's a little funny." Hayden piped up from her side. He and Derek were following her and Rowan up the stairs and towards the house. The others had disappeared or were removing their things from the back of one of the SUV's. The twins and Olivia stayed around the vehicle that still held Austin. There had been a low back and forth between them and Rowan, during which he assured them he'd have someone named Ethan sent out quickly to them.

"Shut up Hayden." Rowan said without turning to look at his cousin.

"You'll be fine Izzy." Derek said from her other side throwing a pointed look in Hayden's direction, one that he ignored.

"Yeah yeah! You all keep saying that, but you're also idiots so don't blame me if I don't believe you."

"Hey!" Derek and Hayden cried in protest, but before they could continue Rowan was at the door, his hand landing against the dark surface throwing them wide without any ceremony or pause.