Chapter 24: P2

Violet's POV:

I could feel my body burning. I knew that I had lost the battle with the cancer, was this Heaven then?

Surely Heaven couldn’t be where pain was. Heaven was supposed to be all white and holy with clouds and golden gates and peace, but this, I still felt connected to the earth, and the deep burning was far from peaceful.

I prayed for it to stop. I prayed to go home, to be with Seth and Gabriel and Sue and Leah. I prayed to see the sun set just once more.

But the burning sensation soon dispirited those thoughts from my head, and the pain was all I could think about.

My body was burning, no, not burning, it was searing with pain. I felt like my insides were scorched.

Though, it wasn’t the sort of fire kind of burning, it was more of a sting, but a gazillion times more painful.

Being crushed under a cement block would be less painful than this singeing feeling. I wanted to scream, cry, but I couldn’t move. All I could think about was when the burning sensation would end.

I tried to move my arms and legs, to look for Seth’s hand, but failed. It was like trying to move a ten tonne cinderblock by myself, completely useless.

I began to worry. The pain was just too unbearable; it didn’t seem like I was going to live. I wanted to die, than to go through this pain. I tried to think of something else…Seth!

His face filled my entire sight. I kept his image in my head, trying to distract myself from the aching. Then I thought of Gabriel.

Oh, Gabriel; my beautiful baby.

I pulled the only memory I had of him, from my mind. He was so beautiful. I remembered his big hazel eyes, just like mine.

So I lost on that one to Seth. He had my eyes. I cursed at myself for not examining him closer. I wished I were holding him. I longed for him. Just to cradle him in my arms, to kiss him on the forehead. I began to cry, the longing and temptation giving way.

I was so frantic to be back with Seth and Gabriel, but I had to be patient, surely I couldn’t burn forever. It had to stop sometime.

I guess I spoke too soon.

The burning sensation began to simmer from my limbs. I was able to breathe properly, rather than raspy breaths. Numbness took over my entire body now.

This was worse than the burning feeling, not feeling anything at all.

I felt powerless.

I held my breath, hoping to get some feeling back into my limbs. I didn’t think it would work, but bit by bit, I began to feel normal.

The numb sensation lifted off me, and I was able to feel. I didn’t want to push it, so I started moving my fingers first.

It worked! I could feel them. My fingers were warm; something warm was bound to them. I squeezed the entity, and it squeezed back.

Something was whispering to me, in the distance. I listened in, and the voice sounded clearer.

“Violet, can you hear me? Squeeze my hand if you can.”

I recognized Seth’s voice, and did what it asked.

“She can hear me!” he shouted excitedly.

I knew then that there were more people in the room. I longed to open my eyes, but I had to wait for the numbness to completely abandon my body. It was slowly making progress.