Chapter 6

~~Chapter 6~~

The next morning, I woke up to a sting in my hand. I whimpered a little bit.

"Shh, it's okay."

My eyes snapped open to find Alex cleaning a cut with a wipe.

"Alex, that hurts." I said, trying to pull my arm away. He pulled it back.

"Trust me. You will be grateful for this eventually."

"No!" I whined, pulling it back again.

A tear fell down my cheek, and I think he noticed. He leaned in and pulled me into a hug.

"I know it hurts, but I don't want it to get infected." He said, rubbing my back. I nodded, then stuck my hand out towards him. I silently sobbed as he finished cleaning off my hand.

"All done. Want me to kiss it and make it better?" He offered.

"No!" I laughed, pulling my hand away again. He smiled.

"Let's get you some breakfast."

After we finished eating in the cafeteria, I went to my math class with Alex. He didn't have the class with me, but he was kind enough to walk with me.

"I'll see you at lunch." He said, giving me a tight hug. I smiled then walked into the class.

A few minutes later, Austin walked in with his group of friends, but for some reason, Austin didn't tease me or demand me to do his homework. He glanced at me for a moment and took a seat. About halfway through the lesson, a voice came over the loudspeaker.

"Austin Turner and Ella James, please come to the principal's office immediately."

My eyes widened, and I turned my head to look at Austin. He was staring back at me with a knowing look on his face. We both stood up, and I began to walk towards the office. It was silent between the two of us, but it was obvious that there was tension.

We arrived at the office, and an office lady was already waiting for us. As soon as she saw me, she gave me a sympathetic smile.

"In here." A voice said.

Mrs. Robinson, the principal, was sitting at her desk. The two of us took our seats and waited.

"I understand that there was an incident last night Mr. Turner, am I correct?" she asked. Austin was silent for a moment, then he nodded.

"Miss James, did this man intentionally cause you to get hurt?"

She questioned.

I looked to my left where Austin was sitting. He was looking down at his lap. If I told her what really happened, Austin would get in a huge amount of trouble, and he would never tease me again. If I didn't, he may continue to torture me, but his life wouldn't be ruined.

"Er, no, I don't think so. He just had his foot out too far in the aisle, and I didn't look where I was going."

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw that Austin was glaring at me.

"Oh really? Well this changes disciplinary actions then. Austin, originally we were going to get law enforcement involved, but since it was an accident, we won't."

Austin's shoulders relaxed a little.

"But,"

Oh no.

"Since you did cause damage to the restaurant and an injury, you will be getting a job there to pay for the damage. And also because you need to learn the definition of responsibility."

My head snapped up. Austin was going to get a job at Amanda's? This can't be happening! Why am I getting punished here?

"We will be discussing the details later. Right now, you two need to get back to class."

I nodded, then stood up and walked out the door, Austin trailing behind me.

As soon as we were out of earshot, I felt a hand on my shoulder, and I was pushed into the nearest wall.

"Why would you do that?" Austin asked angrily. "I've done all this crap to you, and you didn't even turn me in." I stared at him in shock.

"I-I uh... I didn't want you to get into too much trouble." I told him.

He shook his head.

"I don't want to owe you anything." he said quietly but angrily.

"You don't have to owe me anything!" I almost yelled. "But just know that this is your last chance. This is the only time I'm going to lie for you. Next time, I'm turning you in, and you can go rot in jail!" I told him before storming off to my class.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

12/30/13