Chapter 12

Chapter 12

The next day, all I could see were pink pieces of paper. Hailey was handing out flyers to everyone she saw. Prom was coming up, and she was in the running to be prom queen. I bet she'd win by a landslide, so I didn't understand why she had to hand out all these flyers. 

During lunch, Ashley, a girl that I very rarely worked with at Amanda's, approached the table that Austin and I were sitting at.  

"Hey Ella," She said. "Can I ask you something?" 

"Sure," I said. I liked Ashley, I really did. We just never talked a whole lot. But she seemed nice at least. 

"I was wondering, are you going to prom?" She asked. 

"I'm not sure. Why?" 

"Well, if you're not, I was wondering if you could cover my shift that night. I'm on the schedule." 

I nodded in understanding. "I absolutely can work for you. Have fun at prom," I said, smiling. 

"Thank you so much!"

"You're welcome." 

After Ashley left, I continued eating, and Austin spoke up. "Why did you say yes?" He asked. "Aren't you going to prom?" 

I shrugged. "I probably wasn't going to go anyways." 

"Why not?"

"Who would I go with?" I asked. 

"Well, you could go with me."

I froze, shocked. Since I kinda sorta rejected Austin last month, I didn't think he would do something like ask me to prom. I stayed quiet.

"Well? Say something." Austin said, chuckling.

"What?" I asked. 

"Will you go to prom with me?" 

"Austin, I have to work." I told him. 

"See if someone else can cover."

"Like who? I'm already working almost every night because we're short on people."

"Just call Jamie and ask her!" 

"Fine!"

I picked up my phone and dialed the number for Amanda's. Jamie picked up right away. 

"Hi Jamie, I'm working for Ashley on Saturday, and I was wondering, can I have off too?"

There was silence on the line, and then a sigh. "I'm sorry Ella. There's just no way. I have no one else to work."

Austin snatched the phone out of my hand. He must have been listening. "Are you sure?"

"Yeah" I heard Jamie say. 

Austin sighed, then said goodbye and hung up. "Well, at least we tried." 

"It's fine." I said. "It probably wouldn't be that great anyways." At that moment I looked up towards Alex, who was cuddling up with Hailey. Austin noticed and looked over there too. 

"Unless you were going with him." He said softly. I looked at him, then looked back down. I didn't answer him because it was true. "I probably won't go either. I wouldn't want to go with anyone else anyways." 

It was quiet for a long time as we ate our food, but I (probably not so subtly) kept stealing glances at Alex. 

"What do you even see in him?" Austin asked. I was a bit shocked by the question. 

"I-I don't know." I said. "I really always appreciated how nice he was to me."

"And now how's he treating you?" I didn't answer. "Exactly. He forgot about you. It's time to move on."