Twelve

I closed my eyes to take a nap but I could still feel everything around me. I thought about what Alysha said. Maybe I am crazy. But I wouldn't think about any of that now. I had to find Danielle.

"Jace wake up."

"What's wrong?" I sat up in the backseat.

"We're here."

I looked out the window to see us exiting the highway. The board read "Welcome to Arlington."

"Take a break from driving." I said.

Alysha stopped the car on the side and she moved to the passenger side as I drove for a while. She was practically asleep by the time I started moving the car. The town seemed peaceful and quite, like the type where everyone knew each other. I was stopped at a red light when I looked over to the park. A girl, she looked different but I knew it had to be her. Her eyes were an extreme light blue color and her hair long but jet black just like Danielle. I parked in the lot right next to the park, I had to be sure. She was sitting at one of the wooden tables, watching the children play. Her face looked so much more mature but I was so sure it was her.

"Why have we stopped?" Alysha rubbed her eyes.

"I found her."

"Danielle?" She sat up.

"It has to be her."

Alysha looked at her squinting her eyes. "She's very beautiful."

"I have to go talk to her."

"Here? Now?"

"You said it yourself I should be careful, she wouldn't do anything to me out in public. And you'll be watching."

"Fine, just be careful." She kissed me before I exit the car.

I took off my sweater and fixed myself up before I walked up to the park. She was just sitting there, watching. I walked up to her nervously.

"Is this seat taken?" I sat next to her.

"Well not anymore."

"You don't recognize me?"

"I'm sorry should I?"

She was still as perfect as I remembered. I couldn't believe I had ever wanted to run away with her.

"Danielle it's me Jace."

Her expression changed. She turned red as she looked around.

"I'm sorry my name is Sophie."

"Please, I just need to talk to you."

"What do you want?" She whispered. "How did you even get out?"

"I escaped, I can't remember what happened the night we escaped. They're telling me I killed my own brother but that can't be true! Please I just need you to clear this all up for me."

"I'm not going back to that place, and most certainly I am not going to jail."

"Just please tell me what happened that night."

She sighed.

"I'm sorry I came all this way to bother you." I started t leave.

"No wait, don't go. I missed you." She stroked my cheek. "God I miss all of you."

"What happened to you? How did you end up here?"

"After I escaped I completely changed my identity. Made up a new life and forgot about everyone. Found myself here, with her." She looked towards the playground.