The Kitten Has Claws [Chapter 19]

This book is available for purchase on amazon.com as an ebook. 

Chapter 19

Ryder entered the common room cautiously and smiled at the three pixies sitting on the couch. "Mind if I join?" he asked softly. Violet looked up from the TV and nodded, motioning towards the couch. "I'm Ryder," he said, introducing himself to Basil. Basil gave him the once over, clearly trying to decide if he was a threat or not. Deciding not, he gave a head nod and went back to watching TV.

Clover watched him carefully. Something about Ryder scared her. On the surface he seemed like a nice guy, someone to get comfortable with, but she could tell that he was hiding something deep inside of him. Frankly, she was curious and wanted to know what secrets he could have.

"So I have a question for you," he asked, turning to look at her. She swallowed visibly and nodded. His piercing blue eyes rendered her motionless and fear lodged in the base of her throat. "You don't have to look so frightened," he said softly, "I'm not going to hurt you."

Clover relaxed visibly and forced a smile, "Sorry, natural reaction to be on guard at all times. What can I help you with?"

He had to push the stirrings of anger to the back of his mind before he could talk again. Who had wounded her so efficiently that she feared answering a question? "I'm curious as to how you are able to shape change if you're a pixie. Or is this something you can't answer without shrinking?"

Clover released a throaty chuckle that sent shivers down his spine, "I'm allowed to answer. Some of the pixies, usually royalty, have the ability to change shape if they so choose. You have to go through intensive training, starting with meditation, because if you do it wrong...it's not pretty."

"When did you start training?"

"I started training when I was twelve. I loved flying, but I loved the animals too. That's when I decided to focus on becoming a hawk. My father never understood why I chose a hawk. According to him I could already fly, why not pick another more powerful creature? But something about them spoke to me. I don't know, it sounds ridiculous, but to me it makes sense."

Ryder nodded, he understood what she was saying. Even though he was born a panther shifter he knew what it was like to feel the need to change. "I think that in every one of us there is something wild and free, dying to get out, but only some people take the opportunity to discover it. I can't imagine what life would be like without my panther. I'd probably feel constantly caged in and empty."

She looked at him in wonder, he actually did understand. Never before had she heard someone explain what she felt so efficiently. Everyone else she tried to talk to didn't comprehend her need to be free. All her life she had been living in a cage, dying to be free. When she flew as a hawk, it was her chance to break out of the restraints she was so tightly bound to. Life as a princess was hard work. Her father was powerful and domineering—it's why Violet originally ran away from home. Clover knew she couldn't handle the backstabbing whispers and the disgusted looks from the people, but it was their father's disappointment that truly hurt Violet.

Clover suddenly felt everyone staring at her and she realized that Ryder had asked her a question. "I'm sorry, I was lost in my thoughts, what did you say?"

Ryder grinned sexily, "I asked what it's like, living as a pixie princess."

"Oh," she made a face and thought carefully about what she was going to say. "My father is very overbearing and prideful. He takes great care of our kingdom, but as his daughter it's very hard to live up to his expectations at all times. He tends to be very set in his ways."