8: Excuses, excuses

When I woke up this morning, I hadn't realized that I slept in.  Which means I'm running late, which also means that...I'm going to be late for the meeting!  Shit! 

I got up in alarm, and hurriedly went through my daily routine.  Since the meeting is today, I have to look extra professional.  I found a black pencil skirt and buttoned up a white shirt to go with it.  I pulled my hair back into a neat bun and grabbed a pair of black stilettos.

I glanced at the time and groaned.  It's ten thirty and the meeting starts at eleven and Mr. Smith is not a patient man.  I quickly grab the project posters and lock up my apartment.

And just to add on to a horrible morning, there was heavy traffic, making me even more anxious about my arrival. 

The only thing I can think about was how pissed Mr. Smith is going to be.  No, he's not going to be pissed, he's going to be angry.  And on top of that, my job is hanging on the line.  Maybe this will be my last day that I'll ever step foot in Smith Enterprise.  Worse, what would my mother think if I lose this job?  All of these questions keep piling on in my head, causing me to freak out even more.

Calm down Elizabeth.  I tell myself.  Who knows, maybe the meeting got cancelled and Mr. Smith didn't tell you. I snort, like that'll happen.

All I need to focus on right now is getting out of this insane traffic.  Then I can worry about the outcome of my career.

After for what seemed to be ages, traffic lightened up and I was able to get to the building at eleven.  I mean, at least I'm here right now and so I won't be ridiculously late. 

I grabbed the pie charts and posters needed, and got out my car.  I rush into the building, angry about the fact that I have to deal with a slow elevator.  I groan contemplating if I should just take the stairs or the elevator.  But I don't have time for contemplation right now, so I just run up the stairs as fast as I can, up ten flights of stairs. 

I don't know why this meeting had to be held on the tenth floor.  But it's a good thing my running skills came in handy.

By the time I arrived up on the floor, I was sweating and panting hard and a couple strands of my hair fell out of place. 

I walk down the hall and opened the door that was supposedly holding the meeting room.  As I slowly opened the door, everyone was in there and Mr. Smith was standing in front of the long desk, wearing a cold look with his arms crossed.  I'm guessing he had to wait for me. 

My face flushes as I rushed in and began setting the pie charts up and the posters.  The room was so quiet, it gave me the chills.  Everyone's eyes were on me and don't even get me started on Mr. Smith.  He looked like he could kill me at the moment.

"Alright, we're ready when you are."  A bald man with a goatee says. I feel so intimidated right now because all of the men in here are wearing top notch business suits and I'm the only female in here. 

Mr. Smith tightly nods his head and he begins his presentation.  And to be honest, he did a pretty good job.  He knows what he's talking about and he looks so successful.  The whole time during the presentation, I observed the facial reactions of these elite business men and couldn't get anything out of it.  All of them wore the same blank expression.  So it was pretty hard to get a read on them. 

The meeting seemed to have run on for a long time because eventually, my legs became tired from standing and I wasn't sure if I was able to sit down.  But I don't want to risk such a action since I already started on a bad foot with Mr. Smith this morning.  I know I'm in deep trouble.