Epilogue

Epilogue

There was a moving van outside the Federal Guard Apartments. My meager belongings were being shoved into it with about as much care as someone discarding oyster shells. Nyleena was standing next to me. The day was busy and almost over.

I picked up my cane. They were moving me to my new house. It was conveniently located two houses down from Lucas. Xavier was my next door neighbor. Malachi was about a block away.

"Ready?" Nyleena handed me the keys to my car.

"Ready." I told her.

We drove in silence. The GPS occasionally telling me where to turn. It took about thirty minutes to get out of the city and into Blue Springs.

The FG Neighborhood was built out here. As we approached, I was reminded of the Fortress. There were guard towers. There was a white, concrete fence completely surrounding it. It was at least twelve foot tall. The brochure told me it was reinforced concrete.

We stopped at a gatehouse. I showed him my credentials. Nyleena showed hers. There was some talking amongst the three men in the house. Finally, one of them handed me a map.

"Dr. Cain, you're expected. The moving van should be here any minute. It's a pleasure to meet you. I'm Captain Yosh; if you need anything tonight, just give me a call."

"Thank you, Captain," I said. He opened the first gate. I slid my car into the space. The gate closed behind me and a second gate opened. I entered the neighborhood.

I found the street, ironically named "Stonemason Dr," Nyleena gave a short bark of laughter as she looked at it. I smiled and turned right.

"Look they named the street after you," Nyleena gave another quick bark of laughter.

"No, after you. I changed my last name, yours is the one that means stonemason."

My house was the fourth one down the street, on the left. It was a two story house. Not a split level. It had a fortified basement with a panic room. I wasn't sure what I would do with the panic room, but the basement was a good idea in Missouri.

We parked in the drive. Nyleena hit the button, revealing the garage. There was no door leading from the garage to the house. I didn't pull in.

"Expecting to need to make a getaway?" She asked as I hesitated.

"No," I sighed and slid the car into the garage.

The living room was white. The kitchen was white. The bathroom was white. The hallways were white. I frowned as we went room to room only to discover more white.

"I think I'll have a friend of mine come decorate," Nyleena said.

"I was told to leave it, it would be decorated to my tastes shortly," I repeated Xavier's words.

"We are going to be late to Lucas's if we don't hurry."

She led me outside. I limped along behind her. We crossed the street as Xavier exited his house. We waited for him on the porch.

"Michael's already here." Xavier said.

I didn't have anything to say to that, so I rang the doorbell. A small man, wearing glasses and a flamboyant dress shirt, looking every bit like Elton John, opened the door for us. It was eye-bleedingly bright yellow, but it worked for him. He stuck out his hand.

"Ace and Nyleena?" He asked us consecutively.

"Yep," I answered, realizing I was right.

"I'm Trevor. Is your house white?" He asked.

"Horrifyingly white." I agreed.

"Ok, well the next time you go out on a case, I'll get in there and get it done. Now come off the porch, we'll talk about it inside." He didn't come across as being flaming, but something told me that he probably was.

"Lucas, the others have arrived," Trevor said it in a sing-song voice. I decided I was probably going to like him.

"Great, come on in, guys!" Lucas shouted from the living room.

"It's great to meet you," I said to Trevor as we followed him to the living room.

It was very tastefully decorated. Photos of Lucas and Trevor on the walls. Photos of what I could only assume were their families also decorated the walls and mantel and shelves.

"Ace, you've met Trevor. Expect him to be annoying the next couple of days or so. He'll be determined to get to know you and then decorate your house accordingly." Lucas put an arm around the smaller man and smiled at him. I envied the secret held in that smile.

"As long as I don't have to decorate it, he can be my shadow," I smiled at them. The tension drained from the room.

"I'm also a professional chef; feel free to join us for dinner any night. I stopped working a couple of years ago, but I love to cook. The more the merrier and you are a lot prettier company than Xavier." Trevor told me.

"Thank you," I smiled wider and grinned at Xavier.

"Yeah, yeah, I need to shave and I need to pay more attention to my clothes and this and that, yadda yadda yadda."

"We've been working on him for years, but I think he is a lost cause. You on the other hand have lots of potential. I'll make sure you get a more manageable hairstyle and if you need anything for your wardrobe, I'm your guy."

"Trevor is our personal shopper, chef, interior designer and friend," Michael said.

"Awesome. I hate to cook, shop, or decorate!" I told him. "The hair may be an issue though. I keep this style because it requires a brush and a ponytail."

"Understandable, but when you have dates and things, feel free to come over or call me. I help with clothes, make-up and hair."

"I haven't been on a date in years, Trevor. Sorry."

"Damn, I finally get a girl and she's more disastrous than you guys." Trevor joked.

"She's not a Barbie," Lucas mockingly scolded.

"I don't want a Barbie, they have no character and they can't stand upright," Trevor told him.

"Trust me, if I ever have a date, you'll get a call," I told him. "Since I haven't done my hair or make-up since I was an undergrad, I wouldn't have a clue what to do with either now."

"Oh goody," Trevor clapped his hands. "Dinner is served."