Chapter Eighteen

Filler, slightly boring.

"Dad!" Evelyn hissed, eventually finding her dad in his tent. His small slightly hunched frame was bent over his desk, organizing the loose white paper with notes and results on them and packing up his spare test tubes and beakers into a black box with padding.

"Yes, Evie. What can I do for you? I'm really busy at the moment." The old man said however he turned and faced her, secretly glad he could stop organizing for a moment. "Before we leave I need to pack everything up and make lists on last minute samples we need. I need to contact the boat and make sure it gets here on time, we need to move everything down to the beach shore so we can pack tomorrow morning, and all of this needs to be done before light disappears." Even through the stress and frenzy of this, the bubbly man had rosy cheeks and was smiling.

"Yeah, lots to do dad." Evelyn said quickly wanting to share the news of Angus coming home with them. "Guess what?" She asked excitedly but bit her tongue when Brad started talking again.

"Have you got all of your findings Evie? I know how much you've gathered over these two weeks." He asked. Evelyn faulted for a second, her mind flashing back to her backpack containing her camera and journal lying on the floor somewhere around Angus home.

"Shit, uh no. I dropped it from the incident but Gus and I will go back and get it later if he's up to it." She answered, frustrations lowly growing in her as her dad was in such a good mood, just chatting away happily. All Evelyn wanted to do was quickly tell him Gus was coming home with them and start discussing details. He's sleeping now, he dosed off about ten minutes ago and she knew he would be sleeping for a while so she decided now was the best time to talk to her dad.

"Ahh, yes. Young Angus. How's he recovering? I heard he had quite the injury but he's getting better now?"

"He's fine. Obviously the hip cut is quite deep but he's rested and rehydrated now so he's feeling much better." A small smile appeared on her face as she talked about him and Brad couldn't help but smile at what he described as young love.

He returned the small smile. "That's good."

"It is." Evelyn nodded her head unable to hold back the smile. "It really is. And you know what's even better?" She asked. He saw the light growing in her eyes and he assumed Angus caved in to returning home with them. It was inevitable really. The love and infatuation or each other would be hard to distance themselves from, but also the fact that now he had experienced human interaction it would be hard to go back to being all alone for the rest of his life. It would be miserable, actually. Brad wished he had taken a psychology course so he could understand the bond between the two in more depth.

"Angus is coming home with us!" She squeaked in excitement. Her whole life Evelyn had been more of a tom boy and seeing her squeak like an over excited typical girl was amusing to him.

"That's great Evie. I knew he would." Brad beamed. "He can use my parent's money for settling in. Let's be realistic, we never will and they'd be more than happy to find out that their money is going towards a positive change in someone's life. I've been talking to your mom and she's more than happy to handle the legal side of this so you guys won't have much to worry about."

"Thank you so much dad." Evelyn said, her voice quiet and laced with emotion as she walked forwards and quickly hugged her dad. The man chuckled and held his daughter for a second before releasing her.

"No, thank you my dear Evie." He said with a jolly laugh. They sat down together and started talking about some basics they would need to do; registering him as an official Australian citizen (which Brad assumed they will go through the process the same as those changing countries). He would need some a type of physical check, a medical check that must be a proper one and an education of some type. He knew sending Angus to school was a silly idea as he looked to be just under thirty years old.