Chapter Forty-Four

It had been a couple of months now since Angela's move back to Miami. Adriano would fly over frequently, sometimes every weekend, to spend time with her. The summer had passed, it was now late november and everything seemed to be going good for the pair. Despite the distance Angela really wished wasn't there sometimes, they both tried their best to stay in contact.

It was a Friday evening and Angela had just returned home from work. A deep sigh escaped her lips when she finally put her key in her door. She stepped into her apartment and heard the showering running. The humming she could hear had gotten louder when the running water was turned off. Adriano stepped out of the bathroom wearing just a towel, the startled look on his face made her grin become even bigger. He had flew in while she was at work.

"Make yourself at home?" she raised an eyebrow and he chuckled.

"I didn't think you'd be home yet." He smiled at her before closing the distance between them. He wrapped her in a big hug that she shrugged quickly away from.

"Adriano! You made my clothes wet now?" she tried to sound annoyed but knew she was failing terribly.

"I guess we'll have to take them off then..." he kissed her roughly, the two laughing into the kiss.

They went for dinner in Angela's parents' house on Saturday night for dinner. In the last couple of months of Adriano traveling back and forth from New York to Miami, he had met Angela's parents only a small number of times. The reason for this being more so Angela's fretful mind. She knew that the last time her family had met one of her boyfriends, it was Derek and didn't know how they would take Adriano. She felt protective over him, despite there being little need for this.

Like the other meetings in the past, dinner had gone great. Adriano was a gentleman the whole time and her family had begun to warm to him. He was a likeable character when he acted the way he did at dinner. He was both warm and charming, knowing he didn't have to keep appearances up for anyone in the mafia. Adriano quite liked Angela's family, he was glad she had such supportive people when she returned to Miami.

"Adriano, can you get me some water? I feel sick." Angela groaned beside him on the sofa. She was lying down with her feet on his lap. She gripped her stomach and he detected the pain in her voice.

"Sure." He shot up and quickly brought her drink back to her before leaning down to her eye level. "Are you okay?" he brushed her hair off of her face and looked into her glassy eyes.

"I still feel sick." She put on a brave face her him but he still looked concerned.

"I wonder what's wrong?" he searched his mind for a reason why she still felt sick.

"I think I ate too much." She shifted on the couch to sit up.

"Come here." His tone was warm. He sat back down on the sofa beside her. Angela moved closer and snuggled up beside him as he put his arm around her. He kissed her on the cheek before looking back at the TV. She was drifting slowly off to sleep in his arms. Adriano managed to pull the blanket down that was resting behind them over the back of the sofa and wrapped it over the two of them.

Angela woke up an hour or two later in a cold sweat beside Adriano, who was still watching TV. She felt her stomach jolt and shot up quickly to run to the bathroom. She slammed the lid open and threw her head down as she vomited. Adriano soon followed her into the bathroom and held her hair as she got sick again.

"Oh no." she groaned as she looked down the bowl. She didn't want to move and allow Adriano to see her face. "You should go, I don't want you to see me like this." She said before her jerked forward again and emptied the contents of her stomach.