Chapter 18: The Other Side

CADDIE's POV:

How do you break up with someone you weren't even dating?

I had no clue. Before Nox Haven I wasn't even able to make one friend let alone one almost boyfriend.

After hours of coming up with lame excuses, I decided to just avoid Cam. He didn't deserve having someone lie to him. He deserved to be happy and fall for a person who could focus on his happiness everyday. Unfortunately, my life was too hectic to fit happiness into the schedule.

And with even with knowing it could never work, every day without Cameron was torture. I hadn't realized how dependent I had become on our friendship, until now. I thought about seeing him, having a dramatic last encounter like they have in the Romance movies. But that was stupid, and I didn't feel like screaming in the rain.

Alix and I made up once I had gotten back to the room. She saw how upset I was, grabbed all of her Nicholas Sparks DVDs and forced me to sit down and watch them. Maybe that's where my idea of yelling in the rain came from- they seemed to do that a lot.

I didn't tell Alix what was bothering me. She had asked, but I assured her it was nothing. Even though the opposite was true. Alix has had my back in every situation, even when I annoyed her half to death. I knew if I told her about this she would want to come with me, but I refused to have her risk her life for me. There were idle moment when I wondered if she already knew. I would catch her giving me a strange knowing look. But if she had already seen it happen, then why wasn't she asking about it? I didn't think she would be one to shy away from an adventure. Unless she was waiting for me to back out. But that wasn't happening either.

Each night that passed I was visited by the beautiful stranger. He begged to be freed and my heart broke for him. Whatever torture he was enduring was sucking the life right out of him. I was his only chance to survive and I couldn't leave him stranded. After the first few visits the shock of his beauty took a back seat in my mind. There was a familiar quality to him, like I had seen in him in another dream before. It sounded silly, but I swore to God that I had seen those eyes before.

On Friday night I let myself fall helplessly into the dream world, waiting for Dmitri. Except that didn't happen, a reoccurring dream from my childhood played on a loop:

"Wait!" The little blonde girl huffed, pulling up her dress to run as fast the little boy a head of her.

They were in a large sunny meadow, the bright green grass and colorful flowers seeming to go on forever.

The boy looked back, his mesmerizing blue eyes twinkled when they landed on hers.

"Hurry up!" He laughed and continued to run.

They couldn't be any older than five or six. The little girl ran as fast as she could, once she was close enough she jumped onto his back, pulling them both down.

"I got you," she chirped and they both giggled hysterically. Rolling onto their backs, the boy grabbed ahold of her tiny hand.

"You'll always get me," He said with a small, sullen smile.

The girl scrunched her nose up in confusion. She yanked a few grass blades from the ground and threw them onto the boy. The boy's smile returned and they began to run again.

I was awoken by a pounding on the door.

"Go away or die!" Alix screamed like a lunatic.

The knocking didn't stop. I glanced over at Alix who had pulled her pillow over her ears. Obviously, she wasn't going to answer it. Pulling myself out of bed, I opened the door. I was only half awake, but once I saw our early morning visitor, I quickly became sober.