Ch-10: Fool's Errand

Theodore

≿————- ★ ————-≾

I was running a fool's errand.

I knew that.

And yet I found myself shoving enhancers, chemicals, and weapons onto the belt I'd hide under my shirt.

A fool's errand. And yet I was readying myself for combat.

A fool's fucking errand.

I grit my teeth, combat wasn't something I was good at, let alone interested in.

I only helped Koa train a few times which was why I picked up some sequences and patterns, but otherwise, I knew nothing about combat. 

But they were both kidnapped. The shitheads took Ella, and then Kaiser, they had enough braincells to lure Koa with Ella's phone, but they were too stupid to pat him down once to realize he had his own phone too.

I toss my bag of supplies in the car and start the engine; I silently hoped the assholes had enough brain to strip me of my weapons.

After all, landslide victories weren't victories at all.

The red dot on my tracker flared to life as I drove, blinking relentlessly at one spot, it wasn't nearby, but it wasn't too far either. Since I was speeding.

Anxiety pricked at me like needles, as if I were laying on a bed of them. The sensation persisted even after I reached the run-down house, even when I sloppily stabbed the arm of one of the men who attacked me.

I was really shit at this.

I spun on my heel, using that momentum to pull my dagger out of the man's arm into another's thigh.

I counted down in my head, but halfway through a sharp sensation cut off my thoughts. Relief spread through me like wildfire, I didn't have to fight anymore. Now, my plan would work.

They finally knocked me out.

—★ —

"Theo, get up!" I groaned into my pillow at the disturbance. 

Mal yanks the pillow that I squeeze over my head to block him out, it was followed by my blanket. I sit up in annoyance, glaring at him for it. 

"It's already noon, you pig." Mal frowns at my glare. 

My mouth fell open in feigned hurt, "Pig? How could you say that to me?" 

Mal gave me an unimpressed look as I feign a sniffle. Unable to keep up the act for any longer I burst out laughing, pulling him onto my bed in a tight hug.

Malone laughs when I press multiple kisses to his cheeks, "You haven't even brushed yet, get off you ogre!"

"Do I hear you complaining?" I gasp, making my voice higher than it is, not pausing my actions.

"No. Yes!" Mal exclaims, pushing me off of him. "Go freshen up, ogre." he orders. 

I dramatically roll onto the floor, a hand over my heart, "You wound me so." 

"I'll buy you breakfast," he negotiates, rolling his eyes. "Waffles?" I ask, expectantly, it takes one nod for me to scramble to my feet and do as he says. 

I was fresh out of the shower in ten minutes flat, Mal eyes me sceptically, "I showered!" I protest before he gets a chance to speak. Mal chuckles and loops his arms with mine as we leave my bedroom.