Jakkon & Signy POV

Here ya go, let me know if it's something you want more of!

You should also all thank KimberlyJacobs6
as this story wouldn't be happening without her!

A Wulvers Prequel

Jakkon & Signy

In the Beginning: Part One

The forest shuddered as the young contender's opponent hit the ground.

Out in the heart of the wilderness, away from most of the pack, it didn't matter much that he fell as hard as he did. If the pack had been there to see the older male brought down, the tension would become more suffocating than it already had over the last few months. A buzzing energy flowed around the spectators who wavered uncertainly despite the fact their Alpha was only on the ground a moment before he repaid hi opponent in kind, tackling the younger male with fangs at his throat so there was no choice but for the male to submit.

Signy had been interested in the fight until that conclusion.

A false conclusion.

Lips curled in distaste, she watched her Alpha stand again and shake himself off with a smile too strained to be relief. Warriors gathered around to congratulate him while the fallen male crawled, bleeding and bruised, out of the training ring.

Even defeated, her heart fluttered, unbidden, at the sight of him.

Dark hair was soaked to his face and neck, every muscled inch of him glistening with sweat as he chest heaved with ragged breaths. A safe distance away, he staggered to his feet, then froze when his midnight blues met the look of disapproval on Signy's face.

The male bristled and rose to his full towering height, gnashing his teeth as if in frustration with his loss.

Signy knew better. Scoffing, she turned her face away from him and returned her focus to the row of daggers needing sharpened before her. She would take her turn in the ring to show the pack she was ready. Dress hiked up around her knees, the grass was cool against her flesh where the sun beat down unforgivingly from above, and the air grew cooler still when a shadow fell over her.

Without looking up, she addressed the angry male with a flat tone, "You should have beaten him."

"I did my best."

"You didn't, or I would have congratulated you instead. You were too scared to even try to beat him, despite the fact his loss would have meant little without a formal challenge."

The male growled, the hot tang of irritation tainting his forest scent. It still wasn't enough to make her look up at him.

"When I fight our Alpha, I will take him down," she said, finally lifting her gaze to meet his with a sly smirk. "If you don't challenge him soon, someone else will. Everyone can smell age on him. Everyone can see he's moving slower in the hunts."

"You speak with little respect, Signy."

"And you, Jakkon, would have more respect from others if you stopped submitting instead of standing your ground. Everyone held their breath for you today."

Fingers reached out for her cheek then thought better of it. "Did you hold your breath for me?"

Signy's lips pursed together at the hope burning in his eyes. His curled up slightly at the edges, his chin lifting with a cocky edge because he already knew the answer. Of course she'd held her breath. She always did when she watched him fight. Just as she knew he did when he watched her. But her father didn't think Jakkon worthy of her, and neither did their Alpha. In all honesty, neither did she, not when he continued to bend instead of rise.