Chapters 281-290

Mr. Briggs rode the carriage away from the front side of the Council building, taking it to park away, while Eve stood next to Vincent. Feeling him place his hand on her back, she started to walk with him. They were about to step inside the building, when Vincent caught sight of Noah coming out from the edge of the forest, who appeared to have just visited the dungeon.

"Your favourite person is here," Vincent sarcastically said and Eve turned to see it was Noah.

Noah's eyes fell on Eve, and he looked taken aback by seeing her here. He had heard from his man that she had been dropped to Berkshire without any troubles. It had put his mind at ease, that she was away from his family.

Coming to where the couple had stopped right outside the building, he saw Eve offer him a bow and he did the same, while the two men didn't bother to follow the same exchange. The last time Vincent and Noah met was the night when Noah had punched the pureblooded vampire's face.

Before Eve or Noah could say something to each other, Vincent remarked, "Duke Noah, it is good to see you here. I wanted to thank you for looking after my Eve during my absence." There was a slight glare in his eyes as If it weren't for the werewolf, he would have found Eve much sooner.

Noah slightly smiled at Vincent and responded, "Eve is a dear friend of mine. It goes without saying that I would look out for her." He noticed Vincent's hand on Eve's back, as if sharing a closeness that previously wasn't apparent.

"Indeed, and I am glad that you two are friends," Vincent replied with a bright smile.

The pureblooded vampire and the werewolf stared at each other, while Eve cleared her throat.

Noah said to her, "I am glad to see that you changed your mind and decided to come back, Genevieve. Are you doing well?"

Eve nodded, "I am. How about you?"

"Good. What are you doing here in the Council?" Noah questioned with a hint of curiosity, a question that he already had an inclination to what the answer could be.

Eve parted her lips, unsure of how to answer his question. But she decided to tell him the truth and said, "My mother's body was dug out recently and I came to see her."

"Your mother's body?" Noah asked with a surprised voice, and his eyes continued to stare at her. "I thought your mother was buried with your father many years ago."

"No... I lied about it. Many years ago, she was killed," Eve replied, and Noah felt the heaviness weigh like a rock ready to pull him below the ground.

"I am sorry to hear that," Noah replied, while Vincent stared at the werewolf.

Vincent couldn't help but notice that when it came to Eve, Noah's face turned into concern, but hearing her mother's death, there weren't enough emotions he would want the man to have. He remarked, "It is unfortunate that Eve's mother was killed and buried here without her knowledge. Whoever killed such a good woman must rot worse than the decayed. Thankfully she was found by the councilmen."

Noah's eyes stared into Eve's that held sorrow. Though he didn't utter a word, he nodded. He asked Eve, "Are you sure that is your mother?"

"Yes, Vincent has already confirmed it," Eve answered, and Noah's eyes shifted from the young mermaid to look at Vincent, who looked back at him with a scrutinising gaze as if he was trying to dissect and read him.

Even though Noah was aware that Vincent was usually the person sought out in the Council when it came to solving mysteries like these, it still made Noah wonder how the pureblooded vampire could identify Eve's mother.

Noah offered to Eve, "Is there anything I can help you with?"

While Eve shook her head, Vincent had other thoughts and said, "We are going to look for the murderer, who buried her in such emotionless way. It would be nice if you could help us find the person."