chapter 16 : orphanage visit

I walked out of Veeranshu's car, my mind reeling with questions and doubts

I walked out of Veeranshu's car, my mind reeling with questions and doubts. I couldn't process what I had just read. A legacy from a past life? An ancient temple? It sounded like a myth, a legend. But the letter was real, and so was the symbol on the box.

I couldn't shake off the feeling of unease that had settled in my stomach. I felt like I was walking on thin ice, and one wrong step would plunge me into an abyss of unknown depths.

For four days, I avoided Veeranshu and the office. I couldn't face him, couldn't look him in the eye. I was scared, more scared than I had been when the sniper was targeting me. This was different. This was like a slow-burning fire that threatened to consume me from the inside out.

I tried to distract myself with work, with TV, with anything that could take my mind off the letter and the symbol. But it was no use. My thoughts kept circling back to the same questions: Who was I in my past life? What was this legacy that King Viraaj had left me? And what lay in the ancient temple?

I knew I couldn't avoid Veeranshu forever. He would come looking for me, and I would have to face him. But for now, I just needed some time to process, to think, to try and make sense of this strange and eerie feeling that had taken over my life.

I finally worked up the courage to venture out, deciding to visit the orphanage where I grew up. I needed some answers, and maybe, just maybe, I would find some clues there. I dressed in a simple yet comfortable outfit - a pair of dark blue jeans, a white button-down shirt, and a black leather jacket to ward off the chill. My long, dark hair was pulled back into a ponytail, and I wore minimal makeup, just a swipe of mascara and a light lip balm. I looked like I was ready for a casual day out, but my mind was racing with thoughts of the past and the unknown.

I made my way to the orphanage, trying to avoid any places where I might run into Veeranshu. I couldn't face him yet, not until I had some answers. The orphanage was a familiar place, full of memories both happy and sad. I had grown up within its walls, never knowing my real parents or my true identity. But maybe, just maybe, someone there knew something about my past.

As I walked through the gates, a sense of nostalgia washed over me. The old building looked the same, with its peeling paint and creaky stairs. I took a deep breath and stepped inside.

 I took a deep breath and stepped inside

I was beyond angry. I was seething with frustration and concern. Four days had passed since Mahira had walked out of my car, and I hadn't heard a word from her. No calls, no messages, no visits. Nothing. I knew she was scared, but I had given her time and space, thinking she would come around eventually. But now, I was starting to worry.

I paced back and forth in my office, my mind racing with thoughts of Mahira. Where was she? Was she safe? Why wasn't she responding to me? I had tried calling her, messaging her, even going to her house, but she was avoiding me at all costs.

I couldn't blame her, really. The revelation about her mention in letter and the legacy had been a lot to take in. But I was her only link to the truth, and she was shutting me out.

I stopped pacing and slammed my fist on the desk. Enough was enough. I needed to see her, to talk to her, to make sure she was okay. I couldn't just sit around and wait for her to come to me. I needed to take action.

I grabbed my car keys and headed out, determined to find Mahira and get some answers. She may have thought she could avoid me, but she was wrong. I would find her, and I would make her talk to me.

I tracked her location in just a snap of fingers, my resources and connections allowing me to pinpoint her whereabouts with ease. And what did I see? Mahira walking out of the orphanage with a man around her age, or maybe even older. My eyes narrowed as I watched them, my mind racing with thoughts of who this man could be.

I felt a surge of jealousy, my heart racing with a possessiveness I couldn't explain. Who was this man, and why was Mahira walking so closely with him? I didn't like it one bit. She was mine, my memory, my past, my present. I didn't want to share her with anyone.

I watched as they walked together, their conversation animated and intimate. Mahira laughed at something the man said, and my heart twisted with a pang of envy. I wanted to be the one making her laugh, the one she turned to for comfort and support.

I took a deep breath, trying to calm myself down. I had no right to feel this way, not yet. But I couldn't help it. I had been searching for Mahira for so long, and now that I had found her, I wasn't about to let anyone else in. I would make sure of it.

As I watched Mahira and the unknown man, I realized something that hit me like a ton of bricks. I had feelings for Mahira. Not just a passing interest or a desire to protect her, but real, genuine feelings. I wanted to be the one she turned to, the one she trusted, the one she loved.

I felt a pang of shock and disbelief. How could this be? I was Veeranshu, the king who had lived centuries ago, and Mahira was just a memory, a ghost from my past. But as I looked at her now, I saw a strong, independent woman who had captivated me in ways I never thought possible.

I thought back to our moments together, the way she smiled when she saw me, the way her eyes sparkled when we talked. I remembered the way she fit into my arms, the way her hand felt in mine. It all made sense now - my desire to protect her, my need to be near her, my frustration when she avoided me.

I was in love with Mahira.

The realization was both exhilarating and terrifying. I had never felt this way before, not even in my past life. But here I was, head over heels for a woman who may not even feel the same way.

I took a deep breath, my mind racing with thoughts of what to do next. I knew I had to approach her, to tell her how I felt, but what if she rejected me? What if she didn't feel the same way?

I pushed aside my doubts and made a decision. I would take the risk, because the thought of losing her was far greater than the fear of rejection. I would tell her how I felt, and hope that she would feel the same way.