Chapter Thirteen

By the time evening rolled around, the base of the cake was perfect. It had a flawless, fluffy texture that didn't crumble when I attempted to decorate it. I had piped the sides with delicate icing work — a stunning filigree of flowers and swirls — but it needed more. The only thing was, I didn't know what to add.

Oryal left before night fell as he really needed to rest. He stood, watching me work, almost falling asleep into the batch of poisoned icing. I demanded that he head home to take care of himself. It didn't seem like he wanted to leave or let me out of his sight, but he complied, giving me a quick half-hug before he went.

His scent of cedar and flower blossoms had hung around me for the rest of the evening, as if he were still looking over my shoulder to observe the precision it took to decorate a cake. It kept me going until my own eyes struggled to stay open.

The next morning arrived quicker than I would have liked and I dragged myself from my bed just as the sun peered over the horizon. My dreams had been filled with the possible final touches I could add to the cake, and I finally knew how to make it more beautiful than anything I had designed before.

The bounty hunter arrived as soon as I was packaging it into an enchanted case for it to be picked up by the royal guard.

"This is..." Oryal began, staring in awe at the order I had rushed to complete.

"It's beautiful, isn't it?" I grinned. "I've finally finished. The topping was inspired by you."

Taking it out of the case again, I let him see it in all its glory. Crafted purely out of fondant was a pink butterfly that appeared to have landed in the centre. Vines wrapped around the base of its legs, reminiscent of his power. I had some edible glitter left over from a different request, so I sprinkled some over the wings to give it the shimmer it lacked. It was the only part of the cake that wasn't poisonous.

"It truly is beautiful," Oryal answered. His fingers reached out to touch it but he stopped himself when he realised what he was doing. As if on cue, a real one landed on the window sill, admiring its twin.

"You never told me what pink means." I placed my hands on my hips and shot the bounty hunter a suspicious glare. "Is it still a secret like everything else?"

He shook his head with a shy smile. "No. The pink is-" The bell above the door of Deathly Delights chimed, signifying someone had entered.

The royal guard was here.

My heart leapt into my throat as Oryal brushed some of the flour off of my face. "I'll be right here in the kitchen if you need me. I'll be listening in to make sure nothing happens." He removed his axe from his back, ready to attack the guard if he had any ill intentions.

I could only nod in response. Sealing the cake in its enchanted case, I took a deep breath and made my way to the front counter. The cake was made to his specifications, so there was no need to worry. Right?

"Good morning," I greeted with the warmest grin I could muster. "You're right on time."

The man bedecked in the familiar full suit of armour approached the counter, his hands tucked behind his back as he surveyed the room. Shadows danced under the gaps in the strong metal, concealing his appearance yet again. The dragon soaring into the air with a crown floating above its head that was carved into his chest plate sunk fear into my chest. His King was going to poison another monarch with this cake. There would be a full-blown war. At least the Kingdom of Yuris wasn't involved.

"I did say I would return in a week's time." His voice was muffled beneath his helmet. "Is everything I asked for included?"

"Of course. Even the Noxol which was freshly sourced." My hands dived below the counter to fiddle with the seam of my skirt, something to distract me from analysing his every reaction.