Chapter Twelve

Wanting to get out of the Ivory Forest as soon as possible, we didn't stop to rest, even to sleep when night fell. Not only did we not want to spend a single moment more between the cursed trees but, if days really had passed while we were tricked by illusions, I didn't have long left to finish the request. Either he would arrive to pick up the confection I would make, or he would return with a blade to put a swift end to my life.

A harrowing feeling of dread twisted in my gut, warning me I was out of time, but there was only one way I would find out.

Oryal slipped his hand into mine as we neared the outskirts of the forest. Home wasn't too far away. "You'll be okay. I won't let anyone hurt you."

I squeezed it back. "Thank you."

One moment, white trees surrounded us for as far as we could see. The next, the bright colour vanished and everything returned to normal. Brown trees appeared as we passed through the magic barrier, alongside dark and muted grass across the forest floor. Green leaves danced above us in the wind, patterns of sunlight guiding our way. The bounty hunter guided us with a sharp turn onto a path that cut through the woodland and, after a few minutes of walking, the silhouette of the village entrance appeared in the distance.

I couldn't help but let out a joyful laugh, rushing ahead as more buildings appeared on the horizon. Oryal followed close behind but he didn't break into a sprint like I had. I was so happy to be back home, to see houses and people I didn't have to worry about not being real.

After I passed the village gate, winding through quiet streets, I emerged into the market square that I was familiar with.

The mixed aroma of food was enough to make anyone's stomach growl with desire. Wares had been stored away for the next few hours to make room for food, tempting passers-by with an early afternoon meal. A range of snacks and cuisines surrounded the area, including my favourite bowled moon fog soup. Rich meats sizzled on open flames, pots of bite-sized potato puffs, and warm tomato noodles could all be seen too, causing my mouth to water.

At one of the stalls selling fresh bread rolls topped with melted cheese was Mystal buying her lunch. Her clawed fingers picked out some silver coins from a pouch, paying for the food.

Running up to her side and grabbing her shoulders, I caught the apothecary owner by surprise. "Mystal! What day is it?"

Her fangs retracted and her fists unclenched when she realised her potential attacker was only me. "It's... Monday." Mystal's azure eyes were wide with shock as they looked me up and down, taking in my appearance.

When we set off, leaving Deathly Delights behind in search of the Noxol, it had been early Tuesday morning. Now, it was Monday afternoon. I didn't even have a full day to bake something presentable for a noble — for a suspected King.

"Are you okay?" the apothecary owner questioned. "You look like you fought with a tree spirit and lost."

"Ask me tomorrow. I'll have an answer for you then." As much as I missed her and wanted to tell all about the Ivory Forest, I didn't have time to waste. With a quick wave goodbye, I found Oryal watching us in the crowd of people.

Snatching his arm, I dragged him over to the bakery. "This is bad. This is so bad," I murmured to myself over and over. Fishing my keys from my bag, which were thankfully still there, I opened the door to Deathly Delights and made my way inside.

It had never been nicer to be home. The scent of flour and pastries cloaked us as we stepped through the door, an instant calm settling over us even if they were stale after sitting in their displays for nearly a week. Several orders had been shoved through the letterbox in the door and now they piled on the floor. Even when the bakery had been closed, people still wanted their poisoned confections. Unfortunately, I didn't have the time to worry about them now.