Rules & Consequences

Adeline Rae Carson

“It takes a lot of courage and trust to look past what you've been through, and trust someone new not to put you through it again”

I'm sat in the living room couch right now, dressed in fluffy pyjamas, with a blanket wrapped around me and hot chocolate in my arms.

Erin was waiting for us when we came home and after making sure I was okay, she left.

Hank is sitting beside me, his arm over my shoulders as he cuddles me into his side.

He hasn't said anything yet, just sat there and urged me to drink my hot chocolate.

His silence makes me more anxious.

He said he wasn't mad but people lie all the time.

I'm about to speak when he interrupts me.

"I'm sorry, kiddo", he says.

Why is he sorry?

"I've just been so busy at work this week that I forgot to take care of you. You should've never gotten this anxious or scared. I should've noticed. I just thought you were doing better", Hank says regretfully.

"It wasn't your fault, Hank. I never told you how I was feeling, you couldn't have known", I say feeling guilty that he's blaming himself.

"Have you been having any nightmares this week?", he asks, completely disregarding my earlier statement.

I give him a guilty look as i nod.

He sighs as he turns so that he's making eye contact with me.

"How many?", he asks.

"Four", I whisper, looking down.

"Oh, kiddo, you should've told me. I would've stayed home. Maybe you shouldn't be going to school next week, not if you're not even sleeping well".

"It wasn't that bad and you were busy at work. I'm sorry", I say quietly.

"No this is my fault. We should've talked about this at the start, it's just that since you were injured, we didn't have time to go over rules and consequences", Hank says as he draws away from me sitting opposite me, making me instantly miss the warmth.

"We'll go over rules first. I think having rules and consequences if you break them will make you feel more secure. You'll know that even if you did break a rule, you'll be punished, and then everything will be forgiven. I won't hate you or be mad at you or abandon you", Hank explains calmly.

Rule number 1 : "No drinking, drugs, smoking or vaping. I don't care if all of your friends are doing it, all I care about is that you won't. Understand?

I nod.

"Words", Hank says sternly and it's the first time he's ever talked to me in this voice.

"Yes, I understand", I reply using my words.

"Good girl. Rule number 2: No dating. Again, I don't care if all of your friend have boyfriends, you won't".

I nod in acceptance and Hank continues.

"Rule number 3: I expect you to keep your grades up, work hard in class and complete and hand in your homework/assignments on time. If you are finding a particular subject or assignment difficult, you can come to me and we'll figure it out together, alright?"

"Ok", I reply finding his rules so far reasonable.

"I know that since you've been recovering from a concussion, you haven't been using your phone very often but after you start school, you will hand over your phone to me, no later than 10:30pm, every night before bed time and I will give it back to you in the morning", Hank finishes.