The Four Kings

Hank Voight

"When you choose the lesser of two evils, always remember that it is still an evil."

It was currently 11:30 am, and me and the team were all working hard to try to establish a link between the homicide victims, who were all gang members, but each victim was part of a different gang, and all of the victims were rising in the ranks of their gang, when they were killed.

Shot once on the forehead or chest, execution style. From the Intel we had, which was limited, we figured out that two of the victims were close to eachother, prior to the murder, and that all of the victims were loyal to the gangs, and none had any plans of leaving.

None of the informants we had talked to were cooperative, and refused to tell us anything solid, fearing that the murderer would come after them next, and there was no forensic evidence or DNA found in any of the crime scenes.

One thing was clear though, these murders were premeditated and the killer was organised and prepared, managing to kill four gang members who were all physically strong by himself, which showed that the killer either had the element of surprise on his side or shot them from the back, which we know isn't true because of the postmortem reports that showed all of the victims were shot from the front, not the back, which means that either the killer looked unthreatening enough for the victims not to pull their guns when they saw him or the victims knew him enough and didn't view him as a threat.

Overall the case was going badly, none of the people we talked to inside the gang, provided us with any useful information, and the top members of the gangs had gone hiding out in their safehouses until the situation blew over.

Ruzek and Olinsky had gone to talk to more CIs and gather more Intel about the victims. Mouse was looking into the cyber footprints of the victims. Antonio had gone to the mortuary to talk to the docter about the recent murder, and to observe the post mortem. That left me, Erin, and Jay in the intelligence office.

There was a knock on my door and before I could tell the person to come in, Jay opened the door with a stressed expression that told me everything without words. "There's been another body, dumped in a garbage bin. The city garbage collectors found it when they were collecting the garbage. The guy was a part of the Four kings' gang", Jay finished.

Dammit! The four kings were the most powerful in Chicago, currently, and they had alliances with all the Mexican cartels so there was no reason for any of the cartels to have killed one of their allies.

The cartel was one of our prime suspects. The theory being that the cartel had hired a professional hitman to murder some random people, all part of different gangs. This would cause the gangs to become paranoid, and cause a huge gang war to breakout in Chicago, and if the Four Kings decided they want revenge, the fallout would be huge. "what was the victims role within the Four Kings?", I asked as I grabbed my leather jacket, and car keys, ready to go the crime scene. "He was one of their high ranking members' only son", Jay said, dampening my mood further.

"Let's go to the crime scene. Erin you stay here and look over the files again, I feel like we're going the wrong direction", I said as Jay and I made our way out of the intelligence office, and down to the main area of the 21st district. I had a gut feeling that we were missing something in this case, especially now that a member of every different gang in Chicago had been killed. From the Albanians who only owned a small territory to the Four Kings who owned most of Chicago.

The Four Kings were different from most gangs, they were sophisticated, and educated. They dealt in drugs, but from what I knew, they never dealt in women or prostitution, and refused to make peace with anyone who dealt in human trafficking.