Don't Go

[Jul]

"The stars, a thousand kisses he has promised you."

I stared into Dae's eyes. My lips parted, ready to receive his.

A scream tore through the air around us, shattering our perfect moment.

Suddenly, I felt dizzy. As the ground steadied under me, I caught sight of Sanny.

She ran across a swath of green, toward a severe line of towering evergreens. I moved to follow her. Dae grabbed my arm. "Stay here, where it's safe."

"Please let go," I replied.

He pulled me closer. As I looked into his eyes, a cool mist seeped into my mind, shrouding my memory of the scream. A gentle voice urged, I can protect you. Stay safe in my arms, sweet Juliet. And then the mist began to shroud my memory of Sanny running toward the scream.

"No!" I shouted.

Dae stumbled away from me. He squeezed the shirt fabric against his chest like he was having trouble breathing.

I felt a strange warmth against my chest and glanced down. Veins of white were glowing along the surface of my onyx. I blinked and they were gone.

"Juliet..." Dae's voice was pained. "Don't go."

"I have to find Sanny." Then I ran from him, seeking out the one person who mattered more to me than any kiss.

There was a crowd by the time I reached the clearing. In the recesses of my mind, a voice whispered for me to turn back, but I pushed forward until I saw the paramedics clustered around the gazebo steps. I saw a pair of dark pants, dark shoes, and teal socks.

I remembered how Ken liked to flash that bit of color at Griffin when he thought no one else was looking. For a moment, I swayed on my feet, feeling like I might pass out. Then I took a steadying breath and moved past the paramedics.

Sanny was inside the gazebo, talking on her phone. She paced in front of Kaydrien; I caught a glimpse of his hunched form as a paramedic treated him. The moment Sanny spotted me, she hung up. As I approached, she tried to turn me back toward the house, but over her shoulder, I saw Kaydrien's face bearing a wound identical to my scar, his empty eyes staring directly at me.