Chapter 6

Astrid

"You what!!?" I exclaim, standing next to my dad on the sidelines. No way.

"I said I can't drive you home now, I have business after practice." He says, his eyes set on one of the players. "Daniel! Go for the layup!" He calls.

"And I can't come with you, why?" I say, frustration ever present among my words. "I'll have no ride! I am not walking." I cross my arms and stare him down. He gives me a stern look, finally tearing his eyes away from the boys and moving with the crowd.

"I told you. Business. I'll find you someone." He says, going back to ignore me.

"Like who?!" I yell, my anger surpassing my vocal cords and spitting venom at my father. He rolls his eyes and whistles.

"Leo! Here now!" He beckons him over, and Leo comes jogging, wiping his sweat from his forehead, and placing his hands behind his back. No. no. no. no. This can't be happening.

"Sir." He says nodding his head. He gives me an icy look.

"You will be taking Astrid home after practices from now forward." Dad says, looking over Leo's shoulder at the boys.

"Dad!" I exclaim.

"But sir I-" Leo says, sputtering for words. "I can't do that." He whines.

"If you want to keep your position as starter and captain on this team, I'm sure you can." He smiles and walks off, leaving both of us to stare each other down. I look him up and down, scoffing and looking to the side.

"Be ready by 3:30 or you're walking home." He says, ice slicing the silence between us. He jogs off and joins back in the game. I bite the inside of my cheek, crossing my arms. There's no way this is happening. There is no way I'm riding home with that rude entitled boy. I shake my head in disbelief and slump down on the bleachers, pulling out my phone. A few moments tick by, when I feel a force knock into my stomach. I look to find a basketball in my lap. "Oh, I'm sorry!" I look up to see Leo. He then smiles. "Never mind, It's just you." I return his smile and throw the basketball back at him. He doges at the last second, and it hits a boy in a blue t-shirt, full force. I gasp.

"Shit!" He exclaims, grabbing his back. He turns toward Leo. "What the hell man?" He strides up to him, angry, Leo holds his hands up to cover his face. I smile and turn back down to my phone.

When practice ends, Leo waste no time speed walking out of the gym. I jog to keep up with him, the February sun shining down at us. He opens his door to his beat up car and so do I. I admire his leather seats, the interior misleading compared to the rust and dents outside. I slide my backpack down by my feat, while he throws his in the backseat. I can't help but notice the soft vanilla scent of his car.

"Where do you live?" He says, emotionless. I stay silent for a few seconds, then speak up.

"456 Car-" I begin, he cuts me off.

"Just send me the address." He holds out his phone with an empty message, and I sneer at him as I type in my number and send my address. The seconds I'm done, He snatches the phone and opens the link. Starting up the car. Soon we are gliding down the road. Water starts to sprinkle, as it turns into a heavy downpour. We stay silent, except for the soft classical music dancing from his car speakers. I'm dumbfounded at his musical choices. I breathe in. I breathe out and hold my shirt over my nose.

"Oh you smell like shite." I say. He looks back at me, offense glaring back.

"Ever heard of basketball practice?" He says, surprisingly calm.

"Ever heard of deodorant?" I comeback, holding my shirt over my nose, though the stench is only faint.

"What, would you find it better if I stripped?" He says, gripping the wheel.

"If it were to lessen the smell, yes." I cross my arms, letting go of my shirt and looking out the window, to find empty planes and a muddy road. A few moments pass, and I'm surprised he hasn't commented anything. I look out at the road again, as I see black fabric land in my lap. I shriek at the sight.

"That better?" He makes eye contact with me, his eyes meeting mine with disgust. My eyes flutter down to his bare chest, and my stomach flutters as well. I find myself admiring the carves in his skin, glinting with dried sweat and a sparkle. His muscles are outlined and his 6 pack leads my eyes down to the prominent V traveling down into his shorts. Woah. "If you're gonna keep staring, at least give me my shirt back." He says. I look up at him in embarrassment.

"Nah, I'm good." I say. In the heat of my pettiness, I roll down the window, and throw his shirt out into a muddy puddle. I shrug, and meet his eyes of disbelief. "Oops?" I shrug, wearing a glint of mischief in my eyes.

"You're insane!!" He yells. "What the hell man?!" I shrug as we turn into the sidewalk of the entrance of my neighborhood. The car stops abruptly. "Alright, I'm assuming you can walk from here." I look up at him in shock.

"W-what? In this weather?" I say, motioning to the near flooding streets. He smiles.

"Unless you want to retrieve my shirt, then yes." I roll my eyes and groan. Accepting my fate. "Bye." He calls out, waving his fingers. I step out into the rain, the droplets soaking my hair and face entirely.

"Got an umbrella at least?" I say, hopeful.

"Nah, don't even got a shirt sadly. Have you seen it?" He remarks. I slam the door and walk off, not even making an effort to cover myself from the hard cold rain. I count my steps and shiver. Sweeping my sneakers through puddles. I'm not even halfway there, when a car pulls up next to me, the window rolled down. A familiar deep cold voice settles against my skin. "Just get in the car." He says, I turn and slowly make my way in, letting the rain coat the seats. I sit with a squish. We ride in silence for a while till he speaks up. "You really shouldn't run in the halls. Oh and tie your shoes." I look down at my sneakers, and the laces are indeed untied. I didn't even notice. I look up at his face, but he's looking straight ahead. I take the opportunity to admire his sharp features, and perfect skin. His jaw clenching, trying to navigate through the rain. Once we make it to my house, I all but jump out. I'm about to thank him, for the slight softening of his coal heart, when he drives off. Fast. I huff. When I open the door to the house, I see a card left in the middle of the counter. I curiously glide over to it, and find 5 numbers on it and a name jumping out of the bottom.

Henry.

My mind wanders back to the list, but I brush it off as a coincidence. Still, I pull out my phone and manage to snap a picture of it. Just in case. As I open the fridge, I try mum's number. No answer yet again. I sigh in frustration. I stare at Elizabeth, her tail curling around the sofa. One question ricochets in my head. Why am I really here mum? Something else causes me to think back. My mind wanders back to the picture of Leo's chest, calmly turning the wheel. As I think of him, I also think of my hands sliding down it, my arms caressing his muscles and making their way to his V. I shudder in disgust. What is wrong with me? I can't lie, his figure and face are nothing short of gorgeous. I shake off the feelings as hormones, and pick up my sopping hair. "Just get in the car." My body shudders at the thought of his voice. What it would feel like against my skin. I grip my hair again.

"Stop thinking about him." I slap my forehead and shuffle toward the bathroom. Freeing myself of my soaked clothing, I step into the shower and wash my body, letting my hair wrap around me in a warm mess. I think of Leo. "Stop!" I think of Leo here with me right now. I think of Leo with his hands in my wet hair. I think of Leo with his beautiful body pressed in mine. "It's official. Im insane."