29. Three Empty Words

Darling I'll go first
'Cause I won't keep on saying those three empty words

Darling I'll go first'Cause I won't keep on saying those three empty words

Jenna

The sound of dribbling basketballs, rowdy fans shuffling to their seats is a sound i always loved before games, the music was a plus— but the little things where the reason i lived and breathed this sport. In the corner of the court, I squatted to the ground, re-tying my purple shoe lace. As I finished tying my shoe, footsteps swiftly made their way up to me from behind

"hard at work or barely working Midow?" Paige grinned teasingly, as I looked up at her, rolling my eyes. I placed your arms on my thighs before standing up properly, our height difference making me giggle softly.

"You talk a lot of shit now but let's let the numbers talk at the end, huh? shouldn't you be getting warmed up instead of bothering me?" I responded calmly, tongue rolling over my top teeth briefly, now standing and looking Paige directly in the eye with eyebrows raised and eyes daring her to keep pushing me.

She breaks our eye contact making me chuckle as she pushes my shoulder softly before touching my necklace softly, "Welcome back— it's good to have you back, especially with Uconn across your chest.."

"Looking at my chest now are we?"

"i-i-"

"I'm kidding P.. It's good to be back." I smile before starting to walk towards the huddle before Paige grabs my arm softly.

"Be careful out there — these are just preseason.."

"I'm okay.." I smile slipping her grip from my arm to my hand squeezing it softly, "I'm okay.." I whisper softly making the blonde nod as we both jog towards the team huddle.

As we huddle I sense a tension tighten in the room as Paige looks up at the crowd — as we stood in a circle i couldn't turn to see what she was looking at behind me as her jaw tightens.

KKs eyes widen making me begin to turn only for her to grab my shoulder softly spinning me around, "Game— focus on the game. Hey! You're starting!"

Why is everyone acting weird?

What's going on?

"I'm what-"

"HUSKIES ON 3– 1-2-3 HUSKIES!"

What was going on?

By the middle of the second quarter, the game was intense, close, and physical. The opponents had 40 and we had 50.

I look up at the clock as it read 4 minutes.

1:30 minutes til half time.

We were up by 10, Nika and I both shared 12 points as we trailed behind Paige with 18.

There had been a fair share of turnovers and uncoordinated plays which left the us, predominantly Paige, on edge— but quite frankly, she had been on edge before the game had even started and i couldn't tell why. It was now our posession, and Paige was bringing the ball up the floor.

It's been 3 days— 3 days of practice, 3 days of practical one on one with Paige and i've never felt more disconnected from her.

I look over my shoulder at the blonde as she dribbled up court looking for an open guard, Nika and KK were in their respective spots, being guarded heavily and clearly not prepared for the ball yet. I clap my hands loud as i stood in the right corner, alone and unguarded.

"PAIGE!" I scream as she holds the ball before shaking her head passing it to Aubrey, only for it to be knocked out of her hands and stolen for an open layup by the opponents. My hands fall to my side in defeat as i shake my head before Azzi checks me out for the remainder of the quarter.

"I don't know what the problem is, but you two need to fix it!" Geno grits his teeth towards me as KK hands me my water bottle before I defeatedly sit on the bench my leg shaking anxiously.

As the team walks towards the locker room for half time i grab Paige's are spinning her around quickly making sure no one else was in the hall way before i spoke,

"What the fuck is your problem!"

"You— you know what i'm not fucking do this right now, i have a team to lead and a game to fucking win Jenna." She huffs turning her back towards me as she walks back towards the locker room.

"Paige what the fuck— don't you dare turn your back on me!"

"Jenna!"

"No Paige— we are suppose to be teammates out there , but you have yet to look or pass my fucking way! We look broken out there it's effecting the team, our shots! I'm wide open! So tell me now what is your problem!"

She turns back around to face me, "You! Your my problem, one day your my bestfriend, the next you fucking hate and then the next i think you may actually fucking love me back! I guess love is such an empty fucking word to you Midow! But not to me! This little game you like to fucking play Jenna, but i'm cashed out — i'm done, go run back to Blake!"

"Paige wh-"

"GO!" She screams as it echos through the hall way making me flinch as a tear runs down my cheek confusion clouding my brain, "have fun with your perfect fucking life Jenna Midow with him! God knows you need it with your — issues.. But oh God please do not run back to me when HE fucks your life up! But i'm not letting you mess my shot up!" I could see the anger bubble in her eyes, her once light blue orbs now filled with dark anger — something i've never seen in her eyes. Before i could mumble a word she turns towards the locker room walking in and slamming the door behind her making me jump.

Heavy footsteps behind me make my heart drop and my throat go dry.

"Is it too late to say Happy Birthday brownie?"

authors note

IM SORRY
I LOVE YOU GUYS