Epilogue

The rooftop twinkled with a dozen little lights, a golden glow warming up the entire place. A table sat in the middle under a tent, red velvet tablecloth spread out over it. A few candles danced with the wind, the aroma of food making its way to my nose. Red roses were placed in the middle of the table, the glass vase reflecting the hue of the flames. Behind it, the New York skyline was as bright as ever, adding a romantic feel to the gorgeous setup. 

Kieran was standing behind me, his hand that was previously covering my eyes came to rest on my waist.

“Do you like it?” he leaned into my neck, his breath tickling the skin under my ear. 

“I love it.”

It was beautiful. The whole date was the most thoughtful thing anyone had ever done for me. From my favorite spot in school, to my favorite food, everything was well thought out and beautifully executed. “This is perfect,” I said as I turned in his arms, coming face to face with the kindest guy I've ever met. 

“I'm glad to hear it, short stuff,” he whispered against my lips, kissing me softly for the third time that night. “Come on.” He held my hand and led me to the table, pulling my chair out for me and signalling for me to take a seat.

“How did you get all of this done in such short notice?” I asked.

“I have my ways.” Kieran winked playfully, and I giggled. 

I took a look at the plates, my mouth watering at the sight of my favorite pizza. It came from a small shop a couple of blocks away from school. I stumbled upon it in my first year here. It was a small restaurant, the old man that ran it was Italian, and he made the best pizza in all of New York.

“How did you know about this place?”

“I told you,” kieran said, “I know everything about you.” 

“Creepy.” I laughed.

“I thought we got past that!” He put a hand to his heart, feigning offence. 

“Fair enough.” I grabbed a slice of pizza and put it on his plate. “I'll let it go for now because you got everything right.” 

“Thank you, short stuff.” He bit into his slice, nodding in appreciation. “I'm glad I got two boxes. This is amazing.”

I laughed before devouring my own slice, the familiar taste greeting my taste buds like an old friend. This is definitely what people had in mind when they came up with the term ‘comfort food’.

The night passed quicker than what I would have liked. Kieran and I ate, talked, and laughed at some stupid jokes. Once we finished our food he put on some music and asked me to dance. I was half expecting to be self conscious or uncomfortable the way I first was with Theo, but as Kieran held me in his arms, swaying with the music and surrounded by the soft glow of the city, I realized that I have never felt more at ease. 

Everything was just perfect, and when Kieran leaned down to kiss me, I knew there was no other place I'd rather be.

And to think, a week ago, I was determined to put my head down in the sand and avoid him at all costs. If only I had known then what awaited me with this gorgeous, sweet boy, I would have never wasted one second without him in my life.