Chapter Five

Kieran's worlds played in my mind on a loop through the rest of the night. It wasn't just the fact that I couldn't believe someone like him could ever like me, I wasn't deluded into thinking I was a monstrosity compared to the rest of the girls here, it was also the things he accused Theo of doing.
My ex was no angel by any means, he was known for having a massive ego and being spoiled rotten, but to go as far as sabotaging every aspect of someone's life because of this stupid rivalry was insane. Although Kieran didn't say it bluntly, he did believe Theo was behind his breakup with Makayla, his injury and removal from the team, and his unrequited feelings for me.

I thought it through the entire morning as well, my classes blurring together in one massive haze as I contemplated the endless ways in which Theo tried to ruin Kieran's life, and all the ways with which he could ruin mine too. He hadn't stopped calling or texting me since the breakup, and while I contemplated blocking him on everything just so I could get a break, I was afraid that might set him off. It had been a few days, and all he had done so far was try to talk to me, I didn't want to push him into changing strategies. However, as I left my last class of the morning, I wondered if I had spoken too soon.

Theo leaned on the wall opposite the class door, giving dirty looks to everyone who dared to glance his way. His hair was ruffled, and his tie and uniform were in their usual state of disarray, as he was never one to follow the rules around here. He spotted me, his gaze softening for a second before he walked up to me. I tried ignoring him, placing my book bag on my shoulder and heading to my locker, but he kept up with me.

“Can we talk?” Theo said, his voice low.

“We have nothing to talk about.” I kept my gaze forward, determined to avoid his eyes. I wasn't in love with Theo, but I liked him a lot. I could even admit to myself that I was starting to fall for him, and his eyes were my favorite thing about him. Forest green, deep and inviting, they were the first thing I noticed about him, and they always managed to make me melt into his gaze. But now, they were only a reminder of what I never had.

“Please, baby, I want to explain myself. It's not what you think!” He grabbed my arm, turning me towards him, but I recoiled at his touch.

“Really?” I scoffed, rolling my eyes in an attempt to hold back the tears. “ So I wasn't just a bet to you and your rich friends? You didn't ask me out just so you can get some money out of it?”

He looked around, avoiding my gaze. The hallways were already empty, most students rushed to get some lunch before the second set of lessons began. I secretly breathed out a sigh of relief, no one was around to witness this pathetic attempt at an apology.

“It was like that at first.” Theo nodded, running a hand through his hair. It was a nervous habit of his. “Dante and Nate thought it would be fun. You were this unapproachable, stunning girl, and no one could talk to you, and I thought-”

I cut him off. “You thought it would make you look cool in front of your friends, being the first and only person to get with the ‘unapproachable weirdo.’ I was just a game to you.”

“No!” He shook his head, grabbing my hands. I couldn't help but think of the way Kieran touched me last night, the delicate way in which he held my face and wiped my tears, how warm his hands were. His touch was different. “I know this looks bad,” Theo continued, unaware of my thoughts. “But I promise, baby, I didn't mean for it to get this far. I took the bet because I wanted to get to know you, and now I have, and I can't let you go. Ivy, you're the best thing that happened to me. I swear I was going to call it off, I just didn't know how.” His voice was low, dripping with emotions, his eyes glistening with tears, and for a second, just a second, I almost fell for it. Kieran's words rang through my head. Could he really have done all of this because his rival had a crush on me?