Chapter 23

Daniela swarmed away to Alcina’s chambers. Bela got Nova's hoodie off and put pressure on the wound. Her breathing picked up at the sight and smell of Nova’s blood. Nova wasn’t really paying attention, holding her bleeding wrist.

Bela: Nova. I need to do something. Don’t panic, okay? I won’t hurt you.

Nova looked at Bela with a raised eyebrow. She quickly knew what Bela meant when the blonde vampire licked her wound, shuddering at the taste.

Bela(in her head): God damn it.

Bela kept licking away the blood and put pressure on it. Nova just looked away, tilting her head back to stare up at the ceiling.

Nova(in her head): What did I do in a past life to be put in this situation? What did I do, hm? Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

She was in pain but it was pain she was used to after years of abuse and living in Castle Dimitrescu. She just let Bela do whatever she was doing as she continued to question her life and its decisions. Meanwhile, Bela was having the time of her life as she licked Nova’s wrist.

Nova(in her head): Now, this is some tomfuckery. What did I do? What could I have possibly done to the universe to deserve this?

Bela bit Nova’s wrist, causing the latter to pull her wrist away.

Bela: Sorry, vulpe dulce. Give me your wrist.

Nova looked at Bela, not giving her wrist back. Her left ear twitched and her tail curled up.

Bela: Vulpe, give me your wrist so I can heal it.

Nova shook her head. It wasn’t that she was scared, she wasn’t. It was that her trust issues spiked up when Bela bit her wrist. Bela sighed softly and looked away, trying to refrain from overpowering poor little Nova and taking what she wanted.

Bela: Vulpe… Please give me your wrist.

Nova hesitated but gave her wrist to Bela again.

Bela: I’m sorry I bit you. It’s a habit.

Nova stayed quiet and watched Bela with narrowed eyes. That was until the door opened again and Alcina bent down to get through the doorway.

Alcina: What happened to Nova?

Bela pulled away from Nova’s wrist, licking her lips.

Bela: I don’t know. Dani brought her here and she was bleeding.

Alcina walked over to Nova, gently picking her up. Nova was nervous to be around Alcina while she was bleeding because the last time she was, it didn’t go well.

Alcina: Sweet girl, what happened?

Nova stayed quiet, her ears down.

Alcina: Nova. Tell me what happened.

Nova sighed and motioned to be set down. Alcina noticed and set the fox girl down.

Alcina: Are you going to tell us?

Nova nodded and motioned for both women to follow her. Alcina and Bela glanced at each other and followed Nova, who led them to the kitchen where the blonde maid was doing her chores in a hurried and slightly nervous way.

Alcina: What are we doing in the kitchen, draga vulpe?

The maid froze when she heard Alcina’s voice. She knew she fucked up. Nova had Bela’s gloved hand in hers, her ears down and her tail not moving. She motioned to the maid then to her wounds. Alcina and Bela looked between the two a few times before it clicked to them and they both slowly turned their cold, golden glares on the maid.

Alcina: If I’m reading Nova’s gestures correctly, you hurt her, yes?

Bela was silent, glaring at the maid, her grip on Nova’s hand enough to show that she was angry. Nova put her free hand on Bela’s arm as an attempt to calm her down. Bela, however, didn’t calm down.

The maid turned to look up at Alcina, clearly nervous.

Blonde: I-I-
Alcina: What made you think you would be able to get away with it? Hm? Did you assume that because Nova chooses to not speak she wouldn’t find a way to tell us?

Blonde: U-Uhm-

Cassandra: I should kill you.

Nova looked over at Cassandra, who was glaring with Daniela. Both held their sickles in their hands and stood to block the other exit.

Nova(in her head): Jesus Christ. I didn’t think it would be that serious. It’s not like I can die. I’ve been alive for a hundred years.

Nova stayed quiet and looked between each of the sisters and their mother, sensing their anger.

Nova(in her head): Oh, well. Not like I can stop them.

Nova let go of Bela’s arm and went to leave before stopping, which got all of them to look at her.

Nova(in her head): Wait. She attacked me. Not them. I should be the one to kill her.

Cassandra: Mica vulple?

Bela: Are you okay?

Nova turned to look at the maid, her eyes having an ominously dangerous look. The four vampires tensed, having never seen that look before. The maid backed up as much as she could.

Nova(in her head): No. I’m not like them.

Nova then turned away again and walked away.

Nova(in her head): I’m not like him.

The four vampires watched as Nova walked away, all feeling tense. They could sense the fear in the maid but didn’t move.

Cassandra: The hell?

Daniela: I swear, this girl gets more and more mysterious.

Bela: We love it though.

Alcina cleared her throat and adjusted her hat.

Alcina: Well, I believe we don’t have to do anything. I believe Nova has made her point.

The maid stayed quiet. She knew she done fucked up and was on everyone’s list.

Alcina: If I so much as see another scratch on that fox, I will personally make your death slow and painful. Am I clear?

Blonde: Y-Yes, ma’am.

Alcina: Good.