Chapter 10

When it didn't come, she hesitantly opened her eyes then her eyes widened when she saw Ethan standing between her and Cassandra. Cassandra growled, Daniela and Bela groaned in annoyance.

Bela: Stupid man-thing.

Daniela: Go away.

Ethan stayed put. He had an automatic rifle in his hands, aiming at Cassandra. Nova didn't know what to do. She stood up and hid behind Ethan, her tail between her legs and her ears pinned down.

Ethan: Nova, get out of here.

Nova looked up at him like he was crazy.

Ethan: Now.

Nova backed away, her eyes moving from Ethan to the sisters. She then started running again. She didn't hear the familiar buzzing and she felt relief at that. She circled back to Bela's room to get Ethan's jacket. She put his jacket on and walked cautiously. Her breathing was fast but calm, her footsteps soft and soundless.

She went to her old room to change her clothes, locking the door behind her. She changed into a large black hoodie, black ripped jeans, black knee-high boots with red laces. She left her hair down in its messy wolf cut and put her collar in her pocket. She put Ethan's jacket over her hoodie for extra warmth. Her pure white tail and ears were a stark contrast to her jet-black hair and dark outfit. Her crimson eyes were nervous before, and they still were, but they also held determination. Determination to get out of the castle alive.

She left her room after packing her backpack and getting her small pocket knife that she had hid from her mistresses. She walked cautiously. She moved a lot more quietly since she was wearing boots now. She kept her ears perked up and her tail down. She listened for the buzzing or Ethan's footsteps but didn't hear either.

Nova(in her head): God damn it. Where is he?

Nova went back to the hall Ethan found her in and saw bloody drag marks leading back to Lady Dimitrescu's chambers. She quietly listened in from the hall.

Alcina: Let's see if that little fox comes to rescue you.

Nova heard Bela and her sister's giggles and chuckles. It sent a chill down her spine but she didn't back away. She waited in the shadows for them to leave. When they did, she waited a few seconds before she determined it was safe to enter the room. When she did, she saw Ethan hung up by his hands again, slash marks on his chest and arms.

Ethan: Nova... Leave. It's a trap.

Nova ignored him and looked for something to stand on to get him down. She found a chest and it was light enough for her to pick up so she did. She stood on the chest and quickly freed Ethan. He dropped down and Nova got gauze from her backpack to wrap his hands.

Ethan: Why did you save me? You just put yourself in danger.

Nova's left ear twitched. She didn't care. Ethan was the only one who helped her. Nova had a loyalty thing where she stuck by anyone who was nice to her. Ethan, in the short time they've been together, felt like the father figure she never had.

Ethan: You know it's reckless, right? Or do you not care?

Nova's right ear twitched. Her ears twitching meant her answer. Her left ear twitching was 'no' and her right ear was 'yes'. Her tail swaying or flicking was her 'I don't know.' It was interesting but cute.

Ethan: Hm.

Nova's ear twitched when she heard the sound of buzzing getting closer. She had no need to hide but still did. She shifted to her fox form and hid under the bed. Ethan hid with her, pulling her close to his chest.

Cassandra and Bela entered the room.

Cassandra: That Goddamn fox.

Bela: Calm down. We'll find them.

The two left in their swarms. Nova and Ethan waited for a few seconds before Ethan let Nova go then came out from under the bed. Nova stayed in her fox form, having a feeling she was going to run a little.

Ethan: Alright. Let's get out of here.

Nova nodded and followed Ethan, her paws making soft patting sounds as she trotted next to him. They walked cautiously, not wanting to run into the sisters or Lady Dimitrescu. Nova led him to the front entrance, her tail swaying behind her as she walked. Nova heard the buzzing again and froze. She looked up at Ethan, her tail going down. He was about to say something but Cassandra appeared behind him, slashing him in the back. Bela and Daniela appeared next, Bela picking Nova up.

Bela: Oh, sweet fox. Why'd you run from me?

Nova's ears went down. She tried to wriggle out of Bela's arms but to no avail. Daniela started giggling as she and Cassandra got close to her and Bela. Nova held back her whine, her tail curling up and her ears staying pressed down.

Bela: Sweet fox. You have nothing to fear. We won't hurt you, we just want... your blood.

Cassandra lightly ran the edge of her sickle down the side of Nova's head, making her flinch away. She wriggled more and managed to get free, going into a defensive stance in front of Ethan, who was out cold, the slash on his back bleeding. Her ears stayed pinned and her tail was down. She bared her teeth at her mistresses.

Cassandra: Oh, how cute.

Daniela: She thinks she can scare us.

Bela: Sweet fox, you're so small compared to us. You stand no chance. Give up like the good little fox girl you are.