chapter 1

*:・゚*:・゚

The girls alarm clock pulled her out of her sleep bright and early. The sign of yet another normal day.

Every one of Maya's days was the same. Get up. Take a shower. Get dressed. Have breakfast. leave the house. And then repeat. The girl was so accustomed to the boringness of her everyday life that she wasn't even worried about it anymore. She quite enjoyed it.

Rolling out of bed, the brunette girl slipped her feet into her slippers before rubbing the sleep out of her eyes as she made her way to the shower. She stripped off her pyjamas and stood underneath the stream of hot water, letting it envelope her and relax her muscles.

Once she had washed her body and hair, she wrapped her fluffy towel around her before stepping out of the bathroom to pick out her clothes for the day. After a few minutes of indecisiveness, she decided on a grey crewneck and a pair of dark denim jeans, along with her usual white nike trainers.

"I'm craving an avocado bagel." Maya said as she walked down the stairs to the kitchen. The house was silent and empty since the girls parents were at work and her sister Allie had moved out last year, leaving her in the piece and quiet of their suburban home in New Jersey.

Moving swiftly around the kitchen, the girl grabbed everything she needed for breakfast: avocado, bagel, butter, pepper, salt and olive oil before making her breakfast. In no time at all, she had her avocado bagel ready and was waiting for the water in the kettle to boil to make her tea when her phone pinged, the screen lighting up with a notification.

She hopped off the stool to retrieve her phone from the other side of the kitchen, unlocking it to see it was a message from her best friend Penelope.

'Have a great day at school. Love you xxx'

Maya and Penelope became friends in first grade when they made matching drawings of unicorns, and became inseparable ever since. But at the start of 9th grade, when the girls were Freshman's, Penelope moved schools. The blonde girl was the only friend Maya had, since at school the girl was seen as 'the outsider', and without her best friend with her, she was alone.

She didn't fit in with everyone else. She didn't do cheerleading. Or ran for class principal. She didn't have 10,000 followers on Instagram. Or enjoyed gossiping and giggling about boys. Maya didn't really know why she wasn't like all the other girls at Lacey Township High School. But she preferred it that way.

The girl spent her breaks outside on a bench listening to music. And at lunch she sat by herself. She had no problem with being alone. No one bothered her with petty questions, and she had more time to focus on her drawings. She found drawing a way to "run away" from everything else around her. It brought her peace.

Maya shot a message back to Penelope before pouring her tea into a travel flask, grabbing her bagel and school bag and putting everything into her car for the drive to school.

*:・゚*:・゚

authors note
what do we think so far? do y'all like maya?
i'm really happy with how this chapter turned out, i think it's a pretty good introduction.
don't forget to vote!