Chapter 0

Author note:I started writing Fly with Me after several rough nursing shifts in a row, a little over a year into the pandemic chaos

Author note:
I started writing Fly with Me after several rough nursing shifts in a row, a little over a year into the pandemic chaos. When I look back on the time I spent working with that amazing pediatric ER team, I’m always struck by the number of funny bonding moments punctuating the toughest ones. Whether it was getting salty about the hand sanitizer smelling like stale tequila or finding the occasional but alarming squashed bug in the stack of repurposed theme park ponchos we were using as PPE, our camaraderie grew with each second of shared laughter.

In both my personal and professional lives, I’ve seen how often moments of comedy and moments of tragedy occur in a strange tandem. This might be because I’m a romance writer, but I find comfort in the idea that falling in love can happen while so many other things are falling apart. With this context in mind, Olive and Stella’s story includes several heavier plot points, including scenes of caregiving and end-of-life decision- making; depictions of an acute depressive episode and panic attack; management of a parent’s diagnosis with a progressive neurological disease; and an anaphylactic allergic reaction. I hope I have succeeded in handling these elements with the sensitivity and honesty they deserve.