Chapter 28

ARIA

Surprisingly, the weekends have become the best part of my weeks. And I don't even know how. Cause, trust me, I wouldn't have pictured myself as a F1 girl. If you would have told me a few months ago I'd rather go all the way to the other side of the globe to watch cars go vroom vroom, I would have laughed at you. Then recommended you some therapy. Or yoga.

Turns out that person would have been right.

I freaking love F1.

"Miss Grant, you will be coming with me in the garage today", Lewis tells me.

I look at him surprised, since we're walking through the paddock. Not hand in hand. We're still off the radar when it comes to people knowing about us.

But my fingers are aching for his.

"Am I allowed?", I ask him surprised. Even that time I was allowed to join him back in Barcelona, I had to stay in a corner during the race.

This is a milestone.

"Yes. You are now", he says.

I can't help but let my mouth twitch at that.

He must have noticed it, since a smile also tugs on his lips, and like a brush of a wind, his fingers brush mine for a few seconds.

So fast like it didn't happen.

Maybe I just pictured it.

A look at him tells me it was real.

I keep smiling and Lewis makes sure his sunglasses are still on.

After going along the main street with many people, plus me stopping to take pictures of the paddock and my APOLLO coded outfit from time to time, we arrive at the entry of our garage.

Lewis walks inside and some people nod at him as a greeting. We are also greeted by some shoutings, coming from somewhere near the pit lane.

Lewis' face goes as stone in a few seconds.

"What happened?", he asks everyone and no one in particular.

"Gruff started yelling at Dyer. They've been at it for fifteen minutes now", one of the engineers answers.

"Duncan?", Lewis continues.

"Out dealing with the press. Someone had to cover for them."

My boss nods once at them and walks straight to the pit lane. I am wondering if I should follow him or if it's personal, yet his look tells me I should go with him. I don't need him to ask twice.

As we arrive outside, we can see the two standing in front of their cars, Levi having his arms crossed at his chest as John leans against his vehicle.

"What the fuck is going on?", Lewis interrupt them. "Do you think you're getting paid to yell at each other for hours, ditching your pre-race interviews and making a scene?"

"Oh no, we've attended the interviews", Levi hisses, his gaze set on Gruff. Who doesn't flinch. "We've attended the interviews and Gruff here decided to make an impression."

I start getting uneasy at Levi's tone.

"What did he do?", Lewis asks. He doesn't show it, but I can see he also got a tiny bit more worried.

"The American prince with daddy issues wanting to be everybody's daddy", Levi quotes. My jaw drops at that. Lewis is one step away from murdering John, even with the bunch of people in the garage.

"Take that back", Lewis hisses.

John shrugs unaffected.

"Take that back", he repeats.

John scoffs once, then looks at Levi, apologizing.

I can see it on Levi's face that he didn't quite buy that. And if what he said about revenge at that dinner when we first met is true, then I bet he only calmed down as it was served cold on the podium, him on pole and John on P14.