Red

Noah :

Noah :

'Clear!' The paramedic delivers another shock to Sophie's chest through the defibrillator. I watched as her body jolts of the ground just to return to its lifeless form once again.

If I knew, they were going to crumble her tiny ribs by the time they finish this entire process. It was the fifteenth time they've shocked her, just to be met with the exact same result.

'Clear!' He calls desperately, but before he could press them back onto her chest, the sound of spluttering filled the cold night air.

I dropped the cup of warm water the staff gave me. Sophie's eyes tore open the frosty seal that was keeping them shut. The horror evident in them as she looked up to the sky.
She began coughing, choking, retching out all the water she had consumed and that was restricting her from oxygen.

'Sophie?' I proceeded to approach her side, but Henry pulled me back, shaking his head and an expression of disapproval on his face. Just seeing her on a fucking stretcher, and knowing that it was my fault was enough to tip me over the edge.

'Load her in!' The same paramedic commanded as she was rolled into the back of the ambulance. Sophie's body was drowning in an extortionate amount of blankets and wires. 'Hen, I'm sorry.' I went to pat him on the back, he was strong for holding back his tears, but I knew he just wanted to cry.  I shifted away from me.

'don't fucking touch me.' He barked, receding away from me. I'd never seen Henry this mad in my entire life. Henry was always the quiet kind. This was so unlike him.

'Hen- No. She's in the back of an ambulance because of you and Russ. Do you even care? Because if you did you wouldn't have said what you did. Sophie could have died!' He shouted, catching Coach's attention.

Coach ended his ongoing call and walked towards us. 'What is going on here?' He sighed, eye bags tracing his under eye. 'Go on. Tell him!' Henry raised his arm directing it in my direction. I remained silent, still trying to process my words. 'Him and Russ just had to shit talk Sophie behind her back and that's why she ran out here, got lost, and fell into the ice.' He answered for me in the most negative way.

Coach was stuck between us. But I didn't debate. Knowing what I did was entirely fucked up. 'Noah. A word please.' Coach turned to me, gesturing to the an area further away from everyone. I nodded following him. 'Are these allegations true?' He asks, surprisingly, he wasn't outraged. It was just one more reason to kick me out of the team.

'Coach I didn't- Are these allegations true?' He repeated firmly, hands in his pockets.

'Yes.' It hurt to say it, but it was right. I can't lie about it because it happened. I'm not even going to bring Russ into this. He stood there in silence, looking down at the frosted grass. 'Come on.' He said after many moments of contemplation, swinging an arm around me.

We walked back to the centre of the scene, to find that Henry had already left. I noticed that Henry and Sophie were close, but I never expected that their friendship would be the cause of him coming out of his shell.

'Why don't you go back to the building first. I'll drive you to the hospital in the morning if you'd like?' Coach offers squeezing my shoulder. 'I'd like that.' I laughed through an awkward sob. I lost a friend and a chance for a relationship within twenty four hours. That's a new record. 'Yeah. Good idea. I'll keep everything under control. Just be okay alright? I want my chaotic captain back.' He says jokingly, slapping me on the back.

Nice try coach. But no matter how much anybody reassures me; Her accident was my fault.

I walked through the foyer of the main building, my fists shoved into my pockets and my gaze trained on the floor. The party had ended half an hour ago, so the yard was pretty much vacant. 'So? What happened?' Russ was waiting for me by the doorframe to the quarters. 'Not now Russ.' I brushed passed him. Glad that he got the message, because for once, he didn't continue to pester me.

As soon as I got back to our suite, I slumped onto my bed. Sitting there worrying about Sophie, and what I'm going to say to her when she wakes up. I just want her to know I'm sorry. And that I didn't mean a single word. Burying my face in my hands was the best solution to stopping anybody from getting a first class view of me vulnerable.

'Hey man. You okay?' Russ hovered above me. 'I'll take that as a no.' He concludes, propping himself down next to me. 'You like her don't you?' He nudges me in the arm. I ran a palm down my face and looked at him. He nodded in reply.

'She fell through ice.' I stated blatantly. Not caring to give any further context. 'Oh shit. Is Sophie okay?' Russ exclaims. Though, his face lacked any sympathy. 'Sophie's in the nearest hospital right now. I hope she's okay.' I sigh, the urge of wanting to sneak out to see her grew inside of me by the minute. 'She's the only skater Madame Angpol sent, without her, our school's average will plummet.' He shrugged

What the actual fuck?

'Russ, she's in the ER right now, and you're thinking about our school average?' I scoffed, rising from my place. 'Yeah. I'm stating the truth. Glacial sports are Brighton's biggest pride.'

'Oh fuck you. Do you really regard her that lowly?'

'I'm just prioritising our school's honour over a pupil. You do that with your ego and our team all the time.'

'You know what? Fuck this. Forget about it.' I receded into the bathroom, slamming the door behind me.

All of this was too overwhelming. It was like I couldn't get a moment to breath without someone watching. That's when I spotted the window above the bathroom counter.