I could feel it

The drive to her house was silent. I couldn't decide on a playlist to listen to as I drove there. Because this evening I realized something. Well, I think I did.

I knocked on the front door of their oversized house. There are five of them who live here plus a dog and cat. But their house is big enough for 15. They have an in-ground pool, hot tub, tennis court, full basketball court, and a little over 16 acres of land.

But of course they would because Mr Santoro, Gordon, is a multi billionaire who owns his own business and the Minnesota Wild.

Sadly, Scarlett was not the one to answer the door.

"Oh, hello there." A woman in a beautiful black gown opened the door. Mrs. Santoro.

"Good evening, Mrs Santoro."

"Mom, don't scare Natalie off please." Scarlett came down their marble staircase and stood behind her mother in the foyer, "Can my friend please come in now?"

Mrs Santoro smiled at me, "She can." She stepped aside, "You are just in time for dinner."

Scarlett looped her arm through mine, "We'll be back down." She dragged me upstairs.

I dropped my backpack next to her door and slid off my shoes, "What is for dinner downstairs?"

"Charlotte made spaghetti. I know you hate that so you can just eat the salad and we can order pizza after mom and dad go to the gala."

"If your parents are going to a gala-"

"They make a big deal about eating dinner with us every night." She looked at me after she said, "I'm sorry."

I furrowed my eyebrows, "Why?"

She shrugged, "I don't want to make it weird." She stood off her bed, "Come on."

I sat in between Scarlett and Angelina. Chip sat across the table next to Henry. Their father sat at the left side of me at the head of the table. Their mother at the other end.

I did only get salad on my plate. When Mr Santoro asked about me not eating spaghetti, I told them I am on a strict diet for hockey.

Mr Santoro spoke up again, "You won again tonight, correct?" He was talking to me.

"Yes sir. Final score was 6 to 2."

He smiled and nodded, stopping his fork midway to his mouth, "That's excellent. You're the captain?" He looked at me.

I smiled, "Yes. I have been since my sophomore year."

"Ooo young! You must have been really good." Mrs Santoro nodded and smiled at me.

My smile got wider, "I'd like to say that. Colleges came after me when I was still a junior."

"That's very impressive." Mr Santoro took a drink of his water, "Where did you choose?"

"Why are we interrogating my guest?" Scarlett looked around the table.

Chip nodded in agreement, "No one cares how good she is. She's a girl."

"Actually, Chip, I was ranked number 6 in the state overall. A coed list. Ranked by college scouts." I looked at Mr Santoro, "I'm choosing Minnesota. I wanna stay local and that's been my dream since I was little."

He nodded, a smile playing on his lips from when I quite literally made his son speechless. "Excellent. I have one more question before Diane and I dash." He wiped his mouth on the white cloth, "Who's your favorite team?"

"College or Pro?"

"Pro."

"NHL? AHL? ECHL?"

He smiled wider, "NHL."