18

"I don't want Erica to strangle me in my sleep" Matteo explained as he sat down next to Steve in the opposite corner from the two kids.

Dustin had tried to make radio contact with the surface for an hour until he gave up and eventually dropped asleep. Erica was drowsy, but refusing to sleep just yet and there was murder on her mind, so naturally Matteo wanted to stay as far as he could from her.

They had decided to wait until the morning to try to do something. Maybe the Russians would open the door, maybe someone would report them missing, maybe when the mall opened, Steve's little children friends could come to rescue them?

What he wouldn't give to have El and her mind powers right about now.

He was rubbing his hands on his face, occasionally groaning and making zombie noises of frustration.

He barely even acknowledged Matteo joining him. They had enough problems to worry about and the anxiety pooling in his stomach got worse with every second. If he stared at Matteo for a moment longer than necessary, he was going to go insane.

"You good?"

"Peachy, what about you, DeAngelo?"

"Fan-fucking-tastic"

"Where's Robin?" Steve blurted before he could think, he wasn't sure whether he imagined the way Matteo's face fell, "Thought you'd be cuddling"

"Dude, gross. She's my best friend, and neither of us is into each other like that" Matteo let his head fall back until it hit the wall and Steve tried not to stare at him as he stared at the ceiling.

No he was definitely not staring at the slight downturn of his nose, his sharp jaw and furrowed eyebrows. No he wasn't staring at his slightly parted lips, his neck, his Adam's apple as it bobbed up and down. No he wasn't staring at the skin he could see when his hoodie shifted slightly.

No, because that would be gay.

He wasn't gay.

He was straight.

Steve was straight. 100% straight.

He couldn't afford to not be straight.

He just couldn't not be straight.

It wasn't allowed, not for him.

"Robin kicks in her sleep, so she's in another corner" Matteo explained. Steve wanted to ask how he knew Robin's sleeping habits, but he refrained.

They were both in the corner they had fallen on top of each other. It was relatively isolated, and as private as it could get in the small room. They had three sides covered by walls and cardboard boxes so they were really boxed in.

And since they were sitting down, no one would be able to see them.

Steve shifted a little, trying to put a few inches of distance between them.

He didn't exactly remember the rumors about Matteo. He barely remembered his middle school years at all.

He did however remember meeting Matteo for the first time, becoming his friend on the playground while their mothers watched.

He also remembered Tommy Hagan trying to poke fun at Matteo. He remembered standing up for Matteo.

He remembered Matteo and suddenly, he couldn't breathe.

"I'm scared" Matteo whispered softly, turning to face Steve, "All of us are. But we'll make it out of here, I know we will"

"Yeah, Dustin and I—" Steve swallowed, "We've been through worse. Russians are nothing"