11: 𝐀𝐉

𝐖𝐢𝐥𝐥

Every day when I go down to the lake, I wait for Gina. Without fail, she meets me there after school.

At first, she tried to fill the quiet with conversation, but now we stand in peaceful silence with each other.

She always slips her hand into mine as we watch the sun start to descend for the night. Then she tells me she has to go and I find myself wanting to go with her.

Yesterday was Friday, which means I've missed more school than I'd like to admit. But even with Mama trying to fix me up, I've still been sleeping on my stomach and unable to sit down without being in terrible pain.

Pop did a number on me this time, and to be honest, I think I prefer a beating with just his fists to one with his belt. I heal quicker that way.

He hasn't been home since it happened. Mama won't tell me where he is no matter how much I ask her about it.

Wherever he is, I know he's drinking. He can't go more than four hours without having some form of alcohol.

I wake up around seven and quickly get dressed. Gina said she would meet me at the lake around eight and it's a bit of a walk from my house.

"Good morning, Will," Mama greets, sweetly.

She gives me a smile, but it's not genuine.

"Pop's coming home today, ain't he?"

She looks away from me and back to the stovetop where she's flipping pancakes.

"What're you gonna do about AJ?" I ask her.

"I was gonna ask if you could take her with you today."

Take her with me? No way.

"Mama, I can't. She would… she just can't come, alright?"

My mother flips another pancake before she replies.

"Will, you have to take her. If you don't, she'll be here by herself."

When he gets home, I finish in my head.

She won't say it out loud, but I know that's what she means. She doesn't want my little sister to have to deal with my father without anyone here.

"Why'd you let her come home in the first place?" I ask, accusingly.

Mama bangs the spatula against the counter before turning to me. She's angry that I'm asking her hard questions that she'd rather not answer.

"What was I supposed to do, William? Leave her at my parents house forever? She's been there for long enough. She needs to be home with her family."

"They are her family," I argue,"and being with them was a hell of a lot better for her than being here."

"Don't cuss at me."

"I ain't cussin’ at you. I'm pissed off because my little sister has to live in a house that ain't safe, with an abusive piece of shit that ain't stable. And has a damn beer in his hand all the time."

Mama takes a deep breath, clearly trying to control her own anger.

"Don't use that kind of language again."

"That's all you gotta say?" I snap, glaring at her,"Pop can beat us both bloody, but I can't cuss? That's some bullshit, Mama."

Her anger gets overtaken by an overwhelming tiredness. She slumps against the kitchen counter, her hands gripping it for support.

"What do you want me to say, William? That I'm sorry? Because I've said that a million times. That I didn't know he'd turn into the monster that he is? That I'm scared for my life and the lives of my children every minute I'm in the same house as him?"