8.

The following week was uneventful. Shira was always in a good mood during our conversations and willingly answered my questions.

I found out a little about his missions during the war, nothing important or groundbreaking, but it was a start. I got used to his occasional flirtations and even began to enjoy our little exchanges. But he never tried anything more.

I was relieved that he wasn't trying anything, but the truth was I still couldn't forget that kiss. Every time he leaned closer or just looked at me, my heart would speed up. I couldn't decide if I was so nervous because I was afraid he would try to kiss me again, or because I wanted him to.

And the realization that it was more likely the latter was quite unsettling.

"Commander?"

Shira's voice snapped me back to reality. I tore my eyes from the notes and turned to the prisoner.

"Where were we?"

"You were asking about General Sato."

"Yeah, what happened to him? According to official records, he was killed by our soldiers at the Battle of Tsurugi."

"Yes," Shira nodded. "He was killed there."

"But our people didn't do it. He was secretly negotiating with us."

"And I found out. But General Sato was very popular with the soldiers. News of his betrayal would undermine the morale of our army."

"I see," I shook my head, having already figured out where this was going. "So the Emperor had him eliminated, but in a way that made it look like he died a hero in battle with the enemy."

"Exactly."

"Your doing?"

"My doing."

I paused and wrote down a few sentences. What he told me was nothing new. We'd suspected for a long time what had happened.

I looked at my notes again. Shira had overwhelmed me with so much information that I would soon need a new notebook. But none of it was important. Nothing that would help the Resistance.

I suspected he was just playing with me, being careful what he said. Shira could have told me stories like this for a thousand and one nights and still not revealed anything of real importance.

The silence was suddenly broken by the click of the door. I turned to see who it was. One of the guards cautiously entered the cell.

"Is something wrong?" I wondered at the unusual disturbance. Ever since my men had taken charge of the prisoner, the local guards had been avoiding him.

"The Governor has just arrived," the man announced. "He wants to see the prisoner."

What's going on here?

I glanced at Shira, but if I was expecting a reaction from him, I didn't get one.

"I have orders to handcuff the prisoner," he said, and I could tell he was trying very hard to keep his voice from shaking.

"Go on," I urged him, enjoying the way the color drained from his face.

"I... I mean... they told me that you..." the guard paused, quickly handing me the handcuffs and keys.

"You want me to handcuff the prisoner?" I said, making sure I had understood correctly.

"Yes," the guard nodded. "It is the Governor's wish," he added in a hurry. "And he wants you to come to him when the prisoner is ready for his visit."

"I understand," I said, watching as the man quickly disappeared from the cell.

"Commander?"

I jumped as Shira's deep voice sounded close to my ear.