Part 20

"Survival was my only hope, success my only revenge."
- Patricia Cornwell
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Lexus's POV

We rush in the building. Never have I ever ran this fucking fast.

The drive was forgettable. If someone were to ask me to describe the building I just ran into, I would not be able to recall a single detail about it. The only thing on my mind is seeing Julien.

Kaïs comes to a stop ahead, I do the same.

There's about 8 different men in the room. 2 being injured with bandages around their arms. 4 are standing alert, ready to fire if necessary. One man I recognize as his father, Charles. The other looks very similar to him but with lighter hair and more beard hair.

"Monsieur. Don." Kaïs bows to the two men. "How is he and Marius?"

"2 balles sur le côté gauche. Il est inconscient pour le moment. Renée a pu sortir 1 balle et une est passée tout droit. Marius a été blessé au couteau et reçoit des points de suture. Il va bien." Charles says.

I nudge Kaïs so he can translate for me.

   "He said Cash has 2 bullets to the left side. He's unconscious at the moment. Renee was able to get 1 bullet out and the other went straight through. Marius sustained knife wounds and is getting stitches. He is okay." Kaïs explains.

The Don, as I now know him as, looks at me then says something in French to Kaïs. Kaïs responds back while gesturing to me.

I start to pace back and forth to try and calm myself.

"I see. So, you are his lover?" the Don asks in English.

   "Yes, I am. When can we see him?" I ask as I run my hand through my hair.

He removes his jacket and offers it to me. It just occurred to me that I am in nothing but a decorative top and bottom for pole dancing. I don't have room to feel any other emotion, such as embarrassment, so I simply thank him as I put on the jacket before continuing pacing.

"We will wait on the doctor's approval to see him."

   "Fuck. Fuck. Fuck." I repeat over and over to myself.

"Take a seat. We will be here for a while."

I do as he says to avoid any trouble. I recall Julien saying he has people above him and I have no doubt in my mind this is who he means. The Don. You can tell he is in charge.

I close my eyes for a brief second and that's when I hear the click of a gun. I open my eyes to see the Don pointing a gun at my head. I raise my hands up instinctively.

"Name one reason I shouldn't kill you right here." he demands. "You know too much and seen too much."

Kaïs speaks in French rapidly but to no avail. The other 4 men point their guns to me as well. I have to think of something to say and fast. Images of Julien on a hospital bed fill my mind again. If he can fight death and win in his circumstance, so can I.

   "I have no reason to give you." I admit. "I don't know anything about your business, just that Aleksei wants it to fail by any means necessary. I know where he is. He wants to see me."

"You are saying you can bring me Aleksei?" he questions.

   "I can meet with him but I cannot guarantee I can bring him here. I honestly cannot tell you the location of this building. The only thing on my mind was the man in that operating room."

"Kaïs. Is it true she knows the location of Aleksei?"

"Yes, Don. He was last at her workplace. I could not handle him as the main objective was getting here." Kaïs responds.