Part 13

"Guilt: the gift that keeps on giving."
- Erma Bombeck
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Cash's POV

Putain... it's 8am.

Sleep was damn near impossible last night. After taking the lives of those Russian men, it's the only thing that plays in my head. Even in my dreams, I can't escape the guilt of it.

I groan as I get up from the bed and head straight into the shower. After finishing and brushing my teeth, I wrap myself in a towel then head to Lexus's room. I knock on the door softly.

No response. Perhaps she's asleep?

I slowly open the door and peak inside. Just as I expected, she's dead asleep. Before I think it through, I go further inside the room. Her face is perfection even while she rests. I can't help but smile down at her but it quickly drops.

Just what am I doing? Have I gotten soft when it comes to her?

I find myself constantly questioning my actions around her. I already gave her my word that I wouldn't try and ignore her so that plan is out the window. So, what do I do?

"Celine." she mutters in her sleep.

The love she has for her sister is very admirable. Perhaps I'll give her whatever amount that scholarship is worth as a parting away gift when this war is over. As I turn to walk away she mutters something else.

"Cash."

My body freezes in place. Why on earth would she be dreaming of me? It can't be about the sex, not if she just mentioned Celine. Maybe she's awake? I turn my head only to find her still asleep. I curse to myself before exiting the room, closing the door a little too roughly behind me. I head to my bedroom and quickly change into casual clothes without thinking about what I just heard.

If I can't sleep then I might as well work. I go downstairs to my office and shut the door behind me.

At 11:15am, Lexus knocks on the door.

"Come in." I call as I finish up this email.

   "Hey Cash, did you eat?" she asks as she walks in. She's out of her pajamas and into a red crop top and light blue jeans. I've never noticed before but she has a small gut. To me, it adds to her beauty.

"No, not yet."

   "Good. Let's go to brunch. I have a perfect spot in mind."

"Are you sure you want to go with me?" I confirm.

   "Who else would I go with?" she asks with a smile. "Let's go get in your car."

Putain.

"The car got stolen, ma tigresse. I've got to go buy a new one today." I lie.

She looks at me for a moment without speaking.

  "Did it really get stolen or is that what you're saying as a cover up?" she questions. "Cash."

"It's a cover up." I admit. "The car was shot up, used in a crime, and perhaps caught on the street cameras. We had to get rid of it."

"So, you killed the person with your car?"

"Two people and yes, you can say that."

"Wow. At least you're okay."

Pourquoi?
Why?

Why is she so calm about this? How can this not bother her as much as it bothers me? Perhaps I am weak.

"Shall we go? I'll call Marius to come get us." I say.