WITH YOU TILL THE END - 15

The sky shimmered with the moon and the stars, scattered across the sky, twinkling like diamonds.

Markus came out of the bathroom, changed in black sweatpants and shirt, drying his hair with a towel when his gaze fell on her delicate figure standing by the window, her eyes clouded with gloominess and she stared out at the vast expanse of the ocean.

"Scarlett." He softly called out. She turned, her eyes meeting his and in that moment, his blue orbs resembled the calmness of the ocean and her greyish storms, resembled the turbulent clouds brewing before a thunderous downpour.

Slowly, he approached her, finding support against the wall, he folded his arms across his chest.

"Why did you kill them ?" Out of the blue she asked, her gaze still fixed at the sea. Markus sighed. Closing the distance between them, he reached out and held her hand, causing her eyes to darted between their intertwined fingers and his unwavering gaze.

"I told you, if I hadn't killed them, they would have killed us." He said, his voice filled with a tinge of sadness. "Scarlett, there was a time when I wasn't involved in the best business."

"What kind of business ?" She interrupted, her eyes shone with anxiety and curiosity.

"I worked with the mafias." He revealed. A look of disbelief crossed her face as she unconsciously stumbled back, withdrawing from his touch.

He let go of her and continued, "I was raised by them. I was taught to kill those who betrayed us." His eyes flickered between Scarlett, shocked and teary and the vast sky outside.

"That's how I met Sam. I brought him into that world. Since then we are inseparable. And then one day, Chloe stumbled into our path...." A small smile appeared on his lips, "...and everything changed. She changed our lives for good and I will be forever indebted to her for that." He said, walking towards her until they stood just inches away.

"We left behind the lives we knew and created a new for ourselves." He paused. "But my past refuses to let go of me. Everything that is happening here is because of my past, Scarlett. This is everything that you need to know."

"The fire wasn't an accident ?" She blurted out, too shocked to have a control on her senses. Markus simply nodded in agreement.

"If you choose to leave, I won't stop you cause I know that would be a sensible decision." He moved even closer to her, encircling her in his arms, her eyes shut at the electrifying sensation that enveloped her, "But I hope you'll stay." He whispered in her ears. A lone tear escaped her eye as she heard his pain stricken words.

"I am scared" She confessed, her voice trembling.

"I will never let anything happen to you." Her assured her, caressing her cheeks.

Silence settled upon the room as their gazes remained locked and he leaned forward, placing his lips gently upon her's. An unknown warmth filled her body and instinctively her arms wrapped around his neck, drawing him closer.

He reciprocated, pulling her body closer to his and deepening the kiss. He kissed her like there was no tomorrow - passionately. Only when their breaths became ragged did he finally release her, resting his head against hers.

The only sound that resonated in the room was of their heavy breaths until Scarlett whispered, "I'll never leave."
An expression of relief appeared on his face as he embraced her in his arms such that her face was close to her heart and she could listen to his racing heartbeat.

Their serene moment was abruptly shattered by the continuous ring of Markus's phone. With a sense of urgency, he picked it up, revealing the caller ID displaying Sam's name.

"Hey." Markus greeted.

"Hey man."

"Everything okay ?"

"I got a lead." Sam replied, fuelling Markus' anger. His gaze shifted to Scarlett, who observed him intently. "I told you that I'll handle this myself." Frustrated, Markus whispered.

"That's not gonna happen." Sam responded firmly. There was a brief pause before Sam added, "Your voice sounds tired."

"Yeah. I am." Markus said.

"Alright get some rest. When are you coming back ?"

"Tomorrow. And man, don't be in any hurry and wait for me." With those words, their conversation concluded, leaving Markus staring out the window. Concerned, Scarlett placed her hand on his shoulder, offering him the comfort that he needed.

"Are you okay ?" She asked softly. Markus held her tightly in his arms, cherishing their moment.
"As long as you are here, I'll be okay." He whispered, strengthening her hold on him.

"Why do you feel this way ?" She inquired, her gaze locked with his.

"I don't know what this feeling is Scarlett, all I know is that I cannot bear the thought of losing you and anyone who dared to harm you, will have to deal with me." Scarlett's smile, though faint, conveyed her sense of acceptance.

"Maybe we can work on that together." She repeated the words he had said earlier, solidifying their shared bond.

Before Markus could further respond, a knock at the door startled them both, triggering Markus' protective instincts as he positioned himself in front of her.

Opening the door, he revealed Mr.Hudson who wore a concerned expression on his face.

"Mr.Hudson, is everything okay ?" Markus stepped aside, letting him in.

"Yes. It is just that I was told that Ms.Jones and you were seemingly unwell."

"Mr. Hudson." Scarlett acknowledged his presence.

"So, I came to check up on my very important guests." He replied, his gaze altering between Markus and Scarlett before lingering on her a little longer.

"Scarlett was slightly unwell. However, she is better now." Markus said, his words carrying a subtle hint of protectiveness, as he was aware of Mr. Hudson's potential intentions towards her.

"Well that's good." He paused. "In that case, I shall take my leave then." Markus gave him a curt nod and after exchanging brief pleasantries, he left.

"He seems like a nice man." Scarlett murmured.

"Maybe." He responded, encircling her in his arms. Just then her stomach grumbled, indicating at her hunger. She flushed red. Markus smiled and placed a lingering kiss on her forehead.

"Let's get you food. Shouldn't we ?"

___________________________________________

Hey Guys !!

How was the chapter ?
Please rate it on scale of 1 to 10.
Also, share your views.

Stay happy
Stay healthy
Stay tuned !!