Always

I adjusted the short flowy white dress, adjusting the material of the dress that was tied around my neck. My dark hair was pulled into a high bun with curls pulled out while a light neutral makeup look covered my face.

My dark eyes peered away from my reflection in the mirror toward the two large suitcases, feeling my chest tighten slightly as I thought back to Chicago.

It felt like I was walking away from half of my heart.

But also like I was walking toward the other half.

Really, this felt like such a huge decision, and it made me feel completely overwhelmed, knowing I'd be losing someone in the process.

"See, I knew you'd come to a decision," Cher said, walking into my room in her short red dress with the mail in her hands.

I rolled my eyes playfully, knowing the decision still didn't feel complete. "How did the mail room go?" I asked, sliding on my white braided heels.

Cher shrugged, "The usual—here's the letter that came for you," she said, handing me the white envelope as I stood tall in the heels.

I furrowed my brows, taking the envelope that was marked in Harvard's watermark and the name of the Dean's office shortly under it.

"What is it?" Cher asked curiously.

I tilted my head slightly, "Nothing, it's just that this came from the Dean's office," I said, clearly confused as I opened the letter carefully. "It must be important," I concluded as I pulled the letter from the envelope.

As soon as the white letter was unfolded, I peered down, reading the words carefully.

I smiled slightly, "Oh, this is just informing me of my scholarship for next semester," I concluded as I read through the letter.

"Oh, that's cool. Why did I think you were in trouble?" Cher laughed as I continued to read the letter. "I mean, you haven't even done anything, but I guess that's a first assumption—wait what is it?" she asked, cutting her previous statement short, when I felt my entire face fall.

I blinked a few times, re-reading the same line over and over again.

Donor: The Greyson Family

They were responsible for my scholarship?

No... no Karter wouldn't have lied to me. Not again. Not after she promised she wouldn't.

I breathed in a sharp breath, recalling the distant moment I shared with Karter. The moment when I found out about being accepted into Harvard, and on scholarship at that.

I grinned happily, pulling back slightly to say, "And get this—I got in on scholarship!"

Karter's smile only grew, "I knew you could do it, babe."

She did know. There's no other explanation as to why Nancy and Nina would've even applied to fund a scholarship and then on top of that, award it to me.

The chances were just too slim.

I breathed out a few deep breaths, "She lied to me..." I trailed off, meeting Cher's dark eyes before I whispered, "Again."

Cher furrowed her brows, "What about?" she asked, trying to get a good look at the letter.

I felt my heart sink to my stomach, "About the scholarship... she-she had it awarded to me," I said, stumbling over my words as I processed everything, and how long she had been lying. Was she ever going to tell me? "I... our bet was made on whether she was going to give me that scholarship."