▫️Fourteen

Ginelle's pov

"Masha, Elle, I missed you." Mayella smiled from her father's arms at both Grey and I. Her school uniform was quite pretty though it made her look so small.

"I missed you too," I smiled back and watched as she shyly stuffed her head into her father's chest. How adorable.

"Won't you introduce me, Grey?" Mayella's father asked as he adjusted her small pink bag that dangled on his forearms. I could trace the hint of a smirk though I wasn't so sure.

"Papa, this is Elle." She cupped his face, well his beard mostly, to get his attention. "She is my new friend and Masha's friend too." Mayella smiled at me as her father turned to me.

"Nice to meet you Elle," he outstretched his hand to shake mine as he balanced Mayella in the other. I didn't bother to correct my name, everyone went by the short form anyway.

Only Grey called me Ginelle.

"Likewise, Mr Williams." We shook hands and he smiled briefly at me. I saw him look back at Grey but didn't say anything.

"Mayella, you play the piano?" I remembered she had just won an award from her music class. She must have been so good at it. I could barely play a flute.

"Yes, papa has always taught me." She was definitely a father's girl, having not even gotten off him yet. How I missed my younger years when I too would get carried around.

Grey was unusually quiet and I turned to face him. I thought he would speak more to the people he was familiar with the most. He was looking at me with a hint of a smile on his face.

My cheeks flushed and as though I couldn't help myself, I smiled back. If his almost smile was this contagious, I wonder what the real one could do.

"Elle, where is Dalton?" Mayella asked before I got lost in the grey pools that seemed to take me to another planet everytime I looked into them.

"Over there, Leila is coming with her." I pointed to the left where I could see them through the crowd. Dalton was running towards us while Leila and Lora tried to catch up.

"Dalton?" Mr Williams rose his eyebrows at his daughter who now twisted in his arms wanting to get down. She made grabby hands towards Dalton and he appeared to unwillingly set her down.

Mayella jumped into Dalton's arms as soon as he got to her and I gushed at how sweet they were being. Grey seemed to like their little gesture of affection though the same couldn't be mentioned about Mr Williams.

He sternly looked at the boy was hugging his daughter as if his life depended on it. Grey however took his side before he stepped in and I heard them speak in hushed tones.

"Maya, have this." Dalton outstretched the palm of his hand to her after they had pulled apart. There were three chocolate sweets which she happily took.

"Mayella," Mr Williams called her when Grey couldn't constrain him any longer. I'm sure no father would idly stand by and watch a boy get that cozy with their daughter.

"Papa, this is my other new friend Dalton." He stared at the young boy as if confused on what to do. He might have never been in such a situation before.

"Hello Maya's father," Dalton greeted him as he bowed his head slightly in respect. Mr Williams seemed stunned for a moment but he gathered his composure.

"Hello," he slightly ruffled his hair, the respect in the lad having taken him off guard and I felt proud of Dalton. Lora and I had always taught him to be respectful.