FORTY

Word Count: 1872

~Tove

I catch a glimpse of light spilling onto the water logged street from a few steps away, signalling refuge.

"Come in here. We need shelter from the rain."

Grabbing Mary's arm, I pull her along, pushing through a glass door and into a bar. The bartender flinches at our sudden interest, nearly dropping the glass they are polishing.

Looking down, I see my sleep clothes plastered to my body like a second skin. Feeling the gaze of the single patron slumped at the bar, I quickly peel the fabric off me as much as possible.

"I can't believe that happened..." Mary gasps out, sweeping back her dark wet hair with both hands before she falls into the booth.

I join her on the other side, stunned. "Yeah, me either."

"Did you get a look at who did it?" She asks, shuddering. Thankfully it's warm in here, considering how wet we now are.

I close my eyes, trying to piece together as much as I can. Nothing about that person felt familiar, which gives me some kind of solace. What I regret most is not hurting them before I got out of there.

"No, it was too dark," I tell her.

I bring my fingers up to my neck, the phantom feeling of those hands wrapped around it haunting me.

"They wanted me dead. They weren't trying to kidnap me, or to send a message. They were trying to kill me," I breathe, swallowing thickly. I feel the edges of panic, but I'm too numb to acknowledge it.

Mary shakes her head. "You bested them. Don't worry. And it's not like they are here, right?"

I look around, noting that the drunken person at the bar has lowered their head again, and the bartender is busying themselves with cleaning. We aren't at risk here, and unless the person who attacked me has transportation powers, we should be okay.

"They will find me again," I remind her, shuddering.

"You have Keo."

"And what if he isn't around?" He's not here now, although he will become aware of the danger soon. He has keen senses, and the fact that I am his mate makes it even more likely he will be able to track me here.

"Then you have your own power. You're an Angel-blood...you are nothing to be scoffed at." Mary is being optimistic because she is scared, and doesn't know what else to do.

"I'm sorry I put you in danger," I breathe.

"They didn't want me." She shrugs, although her fingers are trembling. "I feel safer than ever around you. You got me out of there."

I almost laugh. I wasn't even thinking, I just did what I had to do. At least I got Mary out of there, because even if she wasn't the target, they would have gone into her room after and dealt with her also.

"I need a drink," I mutter, looking toward the bartender.

"Where's Keo?" Mary asks, as if the thought of his presence is comforting to her. That's definitely a change...

"I suspect he will be here any minute now."

Not even a few seconds later, the doors to the bar are pushed open all the way, Keo sweeping into the bar.

His dark hair is plastered against his forehead, the rest of him just as soaking wet. His eyes, frantic and alarmed, search the place until they land on Mary and I, his shoulders relaxing.

"Tove-"

"I'm okay," I assure him, sliding out of the booth as he hurries toward me.

He grabs my shoulders, inspecting me. The way he looks at me, it's as if he can't believe I'm alive.