Chapter 1

JARED'S POV:

The idea of a second chance had never come to mind.

I often thought about how I was going to live out the rest of my life.

Would I find someone?

Or would I be alone forever?

Most wolves were either mated or waiting for their mate, not wanting to enter relationships in case of heartbreak.

I didn't want to force a connection with someone either just because I knew that their mate had passed away, so I kept to myself, Dylan giving me a new job within the pack which I quite enjoyed.

Tapping my pen against my chin, I sighed, pushing away the many documents on the fighters' training regime, deciding I was done for the day.

I couldn't concentrate, too busy thinking about her.

Anna.

I had met her briefly yesterday when picking Sophia up from kindergarten, and I knew the second I laid eyes on her that she was mine.

She had just started working there, having only been with the school a couple of days, finding it quite intimidating according to her, but I could tell that she was supposed to be working with children.

She spoke to Sophia with such care and ease, my niece loving her already, babbling on about how the new support teacher had helped her with her drawings and counting.

The only problem- she was human.

I could tell by her face that she was confused by my presence, seeming very nervous and jittery around me, soon becoming hostile when she thought that Gia was my girlfriend, and I had to hint to her that I was single before we left, not wanting her to think I was with another woman.

She was working, and wanted to remain professional, which was why she excused herself pretty quickly, but I wanted to see her again, my mind having been racing all night thinking about her.

I couldn't get her out of my head. Did she feel the connection like I did? Was she thinking about me much like I was her?

Second chance mates among wolves were a rare phenomenon, and we believed that the Moon Goddess only gave it to people if she truly believed she had made a mistake with a pairing.

It was clear that Amelia and I weren't meant to be, and since breaking the bond from my end, my longing for her had disappeared.

I still thought about her sometimes, wondering what she was doing and if she was okay, but I didn't want her as a mate. To me, she was a distant memory from a past life.

Wheeling myself out of the spare room, I scratched at my stubble, something I had been growing out and quite liking recently, it giving me a more mature look.

I was twenty two now though, four years having passed since Amelia left, and as much as it hurt me in the beginning that she never came back to even check on me, I had pushed her to the back of my mind, her memory settling pretty nicely back there.

Our relationship was toxic, her having messed around with multiple men behind my back. We were never going to work, and I had accepted that, feeling no pull at the thought or mention of her name, not that people really spoke about her here.

"Do you want some lunch, Jared?" Clara asked me, and I nodded, grabbing a plateful of food, digging into it quickly, my stomach gurgling, making me realise how hungry I actually was. I had been so preoccupied I had forgotten to eat.

"Thanks," I said mid-bite, making Sonny giggle as he picked up a large glob of food from his highchair, throwing it right at me, making me sigh as I glared at him.