ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 9

Date: November 16

I sat on the bench, tying my shoelaces as the rest of my classmates ran past. The gym teacher was having us jog laps inside the gymnasium today as the weather had begun to get cooler. Most of the other students complained when we were told we'd be jogging some laps today, but I didn't mind at all.

"Kang Yeona, why are you just sitting there?" called the gym teacher, "Join the rest of your class."

Bowing my head, I apologized, "Sorry, my shoelaces came loose."

He sighed and turned back to the rest of my class, watching as they continued to run laps. I soon got to my feet and joined them. I minded my own business for the most part, focusing on my stamina. Every now and then I'd catch pieces of conversations and a majority of them weren't anything interesting.

I passed a few girls who, from their obvious appearance, were really struggling. Sweat dripped from their foreheads and they exhaled and inhaled lazily. They only complained about the activity and how they'd rather play a game instead. They must've become annoyed when I decided to pass them.

"She always has to act perfect with everything," one said.

"It's too bad that she comes in second to Hongjoong," said the second.

"You know, I heard an interesting rumor," breathed the third. The other two looked over in interest. "I eavesdropped that he's actually her soulmate."

My heart seized up, making me stumble to my knees. I clutched my chest, hunched and struggling to breathe properly. Surely this was merely a rumor. It had to be. I winced in pain and noticed the pain my knees were in from suddenly hitting the floor. The more I doubted the truth of the "rumor", the more pain shot through my body. It was reaching far more than just my heart now.

I raised my head to see a concerned Hongjoong approaching. Without thinking much, I pulled myself to my feet and rushed in the opposite direction. Perhaps a few minutes alone in the bathroom would do me some good.

"Yeona, are you alright?" Hongjoong followed after me, trying to catch up.

I motioned for him to stay back, "I'm fine." But I still held a hand over my chest and felt pained.

"No, I don't think you are," he replied, grabbing my arm and halting me. "Tell me what's wrong. Please."

I stared at him, a mix of fear and anger swelling inside of me. If it was true, then why didn't he tell me? And if it wasn't, why was I disappointed? Everything had been better before he decided to "be friends". Frowning, I yanked my arm away from him.

"Just leave me alone, will you?" I spat, entering the bathroom.

I sat at my desk in my bedroom, working intently on my project. My door opened and Yeosang appeared, his head peeking around the corner.

"We're going out, do you want to come?" he asked, watching as I carefully screwed a part in place.

"Where are you going?"

"We were going to hang out," he replied, "Maybe go shopping or something."

I raised my head in thought, "Would you be willing to pass the bookstore if I came with you?"

He nodded.

"Alright then," I set down what I held in my hand, standing from my chair. "I'll be ready in a few minutes then."

I slipped a sweater over my tank top and slid into some jeans. Grabbing my bag, I turned off my desk lamp and headed downstairs. I found Yeosang and Wooyoung waiting for me by the door.

"I heard that something happened in gym class," Wooyoung spoke as we stepped outside and began walking down the street.

"It was nothing," I shook my head, burying my hands deep in my pockets. "Who told you?"

"Hongjoong pulled us to the side earlier and asked if everything was okay with you," Yeosang answered.

I sighed, rolling my eyes, "And what did you tell him?"

"Well, I didn't lie," Yeosang shrugged, "I told him that you were going through soulmate pains, but they're worse than usual."

"Why did you tell him?" I groaned.

Wooyoung raised his hands to try and calm me, "In his defense, he didn't know that he wasn't supposed to say anything about it."

"Fine," I looked away with knit brows.

The three of us went through a few small shops and I was able to go into my favorite bookstore. I found a few intriguing books and checked them out before returning to the boys. I found them standing outside by some sort of venue. There were many others nearby as well. Music vibrated through the walls and the floor.

"What's this?" I asked, siding up next to Wooyoung.

"It's an underground concert," he answered excitedly, "We should go inside and check it out."

"With all of these people here?"

He nodded, pulling me and Yeosang inside without another comment. I clung to my bag of books for dear life as I was maneuvered around others toward the front. Wooyoung's tactic of pulling a human chain behind him soon failed as people tried to cut between us. The room was loud and crowded, and there was not much of a chance to communicate when Yeosang's hand slipped out of mine.

The people around me were dancing and singing along loudly as if it were a large concert. I peered over my shoulders while on my tippy toes, trying and catch a glance of my brother and friend. This was such a bad idea, on Wooyoung's part. And it was a bad idea to give him a chance to lead us inside. Somehow, my bag was knocked down and off of my shoulder, my books spilling out.

I want to go home. I want to hide. I want to take a nap and not wake up until absolutely necessary. I want to get out of this place and never come back.

"Oh no," I muttered, not noticing that the thumping music had hushed. Crouching down, I began to place my books in my bag. As I reached for another, another's hand beat me to it. Confused and startled, I glanced up to find the last face I would've expected in such a place.

"I saved seats for you over on the right," Hongjoong grinned, putting the rest of the books in my bag and handing it to me. "You kinda got stuck in the mosh pit."

I was dumbfounded and unable to make any remarks.

Hongjoong took my hand, which sent electricity through my body, and led me to the others. Wooyoung and Yeosang were joined by Seonghwa and all of them looked enthused. Meanwhile, I was still processing my environment. Once Hongjoong saw that I made it to a seat, he jumped back onstage and picked his guitar back up.

"Wait..." I drifted my gaze to Yeosang, "What?"

He gave me a sly smile, "I knew you wouldn't come if I told you. Hongjoong invited us to see him perform with his band."

I looked back to the stage where Hongjoong stood with a guitar and a microphone. I recognized Yunho at the keyboard but then there were three others that I didn't know. They appeared to be our age but must've attended a different school.

"Who are they?"

Yeosang leaned closer so we could hear each other, "Mingi is on drums, San is on bass, and Jongho is on rhythm. They go to a school in a different neighborhood."

"Oh," was all I could let out. I couldn't tear my eyes away from the unfamiliar Hongjoong that wore dark eye makeup and a black leather jacket. There was no way this was the Hongjoong I knew. Or his teacher's pet identity was all just a facade.