Chapter 13

Chapter 13

"You alright if I go make us some food?" I asked Jesse, carefully getting out of the bed.

"Pancakes." She nodded, not opening her eyes. "And bacon."

"I'll see what I've got." I laughed, giving her shoulder a squeeze before grabbing my notebook and phone and heading towards the kitchen.

"Morning!" My dad called as I walked past the living room.

I raised my eyebrows at the gathering of the team in the living room which had become a regular Saturday occurrence.

"Morning." I gave him a sarcastic smile before trying to find what we had in the kitchen to make for Jesse.

All I found that was at all breakfast-y was some frozen quiches and some fruit.

So I put the quiches in the oven and cut up some fruit, and then sat down at the kitchen counter to eat some chips and fill in my notebook.

I had eaten nearly the entire bag when my dad suddenly called my name.

I shut my notebook and took a deep breath, stretching out my body as I leaned over the back of the chair.

"Bella!" My dad called again from the living room. "Come here for a sec!"

I groaned, resting my head forwards on the counter for a moment before pushing myself up from the chair and slowly making my way into the living room where dad was standing in front of all of the guys.

I hated it when they all gathered here. Like, come on, I didn't need all of this in my house. I hated high school enough, I didn't need all of this following me into my own home.

"Do you want to help me go over some attacking drills? I was watching you in the game on Sunday and your team has some great tactics." Dad asked hopefully, tapping on the whiteboard that he had set up in front of the TV.

I let out a sigh just to let him know that I was extremely exasperated that he'd put me in this position, but nodded anyways in agreement.

"Sure, what do you want to know?" I asked, zipping up the front of my sweatshirt so I could comfortably stick my hands in the pockets.

"Let me just grab my notebook in the kitchen." My dad said quickly, stepping past me.

I sighed, knowing he was completely oblivious to how uncomfortable I was standing here in front of his entire team with it being just me.

"So... Soccer." I muttered, scratching the back of my calf with my other foot. "Fuck." I sighed, glancing around the room.

I made eye contact with Kade standing in the back of the room and the smile that he gave me made my heart warm.

But I didn't react, keeping busy by glancing over at the kitchen as my dad was nowhere to be found.

He suddenly came around the corner, his attention focused on the notebook in his hands and my eyes widened to find out that it was mine.

"Hey that's my notebook, don't-"

"Have you been rating my players?" My dad asked with a laugh, licking his finger to turn the page as all baby boomers and older people do.

"Dad." I gasped, my eyes widening. "Let's not-"

"These are mostly my guys." My dad frowned, looking at the list that he did not want to know the origin of.

"You gave Andrew Sheffield a 3/10? He was my best defender..." My dad frowned, holding the notebook farther away to be able to see it without his glasses. "Kade got a 9, alright." My dad laughed, glancing over at him in the back of the room by the other coaches.