Chapter 8

Clack

"Hello." Cordelia politely greeted him as he closed the door behind him.

The gigolo's hair was a mess. For Leon was in a rush, he had to mess his hair on the way or else she would recognize him.

Cordelia met his eyes, but her brows rose, not in surprise. 'He's still wearing that mask.' She thought, slowly growing curious.

He forced a smile upon her presence. "Why have you come to visit me again, madam?" Asked Leon in a different voice.

"I wanted to express my gratitude." She said. "Please have a seat."

Leon stared at her hand, gesturing the empty chair across the table from her.

"Need not to call me for a small matter. I have quite a lot of things to do, and I am occupied with other duties in this brothel." He spoke as he took steps, nearing the chair.

"Ah, I can see that." Her eyes lingered on his messed up hair and rumpled clothes. An idea quickly went to Cordelia's mind.

"Did I perhaps bother you?" She asked. She thought that he must have been in the midst of keeping other customers company before her arrival. He is a gigolo after all. And that is his job— was what she thought.

"....." Leon stayed silent for a mere while as he stared at her in the eye, piercing her with his gaze behind his mask.

"Oh my... I apologize if I have disturbed you."

"I wouldn't put it that way, madam." He said, forcing another smile.

"I shall send a letter to the owner before my visits beforehand next time, to inform you in advance. Would that be alright?"

His eyes lingered upon her in disbelief. His ears perked, while his brows rose at her suggestion.

"That is very thoughtful of you, madam. Please do that next time." He smiled.

Surely, her suggestion could save him more time and troubles, as he would know her moves without asking her handmaidens in advance.

'I'm glad she thought of that.'

"I want to say thank you."

"What?"

"Thank you for the advice you gave last time. It was of help to me." The corners of Cordelia's lips rose into a faint yet genuine smile.

Leon's brows furrowed behind the mask. "How so?"

"Well," She trailed. "All I could say is that my husband cleared a misunderstanding."

Leon looked at her, face relaxed and no expression. "That's good to hear, madam."

"It's all thanks to your help." She said delightedly. "I prepared a small reward, you may retrieve it from the owner."

"Reward?" His brows rose. "What reward?"

"I will not tell you right now. But I am quite unsure if you'll like it though." Cordelia grinned— which only rose Leon's suspicion.

He forced his smile to look genuine yet enthusiastic. "Oh my. Will you at least give me a clue, my lady?"

"...It's nothing much."

"My lady, you're too generous for giving me that—"

"It's just a few pennies made of gold." What she said alone made his attention quickly directed onto her.

"That is my reward?" He asked her, rather surprised.

Cordelia's brows softly furrowed in confusion upon seeing his reaction. She lightly tilted her head and asked. "Yes, is it not enough?"