Chapter 27: Friends to enemies

"Your whispers won't work. She trusts me." 

His head was pounding as beads of sweat trickled down his temple. But Jasper didn't care, as he added yet another weight to the wires. That was all he could think of to do to release the pent up aggression he felt inside, as opposed to starting a fight. His talk with his mother had gone quickly south when she had learned of his predicament. Her feelings made clear that he was just having pre wedding jitters. 'It's only natural to doubt, to have a wobble.' As she had called it. Having Thomas consume his thoughts, so much so that he had acted upon them was more than just a 'wobble.' At least he had not discussed the details with her. She didn't understand him at all. His life was at a crossroads and was being pulled in both directions.

"What the hell! You're gonna burst a blood vessel." Ed says as he rushes over to Jasper, whose face was reddening as he pulls the weights up from their resting place through the tension of the wires. 

"I can do it." Jasper utters through his clenched jaw and he does, before letting the weights fall back down with an echoing thud.

Ed takes a step back at the sudden crashing noise. "Jas, you're meant to be working y'know. Not your own work out. Didn't you have a P.T session?" 

"A 'no show'."Jasper pulls a towel from the bench to his side. "Besides, I've seen you use the sauna during work hours."

"Ok, fair play, but it was five minutes before closing. This is Saturday afternoon. We have to look professional. Plus, if Beth knew you were pushing yourself like this…" 

Jasper emits a sarcastic chuckle. "If Beth knew." He whips the towel over his shoulder. "You're very much into that at the moment aren't you. What my fiancèe should know." 

"What do you mean?" Ed tries to match Jasper's laugh, but he already sensed the direction this conversation may be heading. 

Jasper steps a fraction closer to Ed, he stares at him as if to try to read some kind of reaction. "You heard my conversation at the tailors. You took it upon yourself to draw a conclusion. To share your thoughts with Beth." 

Ed, in his right mind would have backed down at this moment. But unbeknown to Jasper, he was more involved in his and Beth's affairs than Jasper realised. He dares to reply. "So what if I did. I know what I heard. Tell me. Was I wrong? Was there something going on between you and Thomas?"

Jasper pushes his tongue into his cheek as he forces a smile. "Why are you so interested huh? Got a thing for Beth? Or Tom maybe? Maybe you have a crush on me." Jasper dares to flick an eyebrow in amusement at the notion, but Ed remains composed and speechless, causing Jasper to continue. "Your whispers won't work. She trusts me." 

"And do you trust her?" Ed is quick to reply. 

It causes Jasper's smug expression to drop. He frowns at Ed. "What is your problem? Why are you doing this? Beth would never stray." She worshiped him to the point of obsession.

It's now Ed's turn to feel the spotlight. He suddenly felt out of his depth. He wasn't innocent by any means and he couldn't prove Jasper's guilt. He visibly takes a step back as he decides to concede. "Jas, I'm sorry for getting involved ok. I care about you both. That's all. I'm just trying to look out for everyone." 

"You have a funny way of showing it." Jasper utters as he exhales heavily. "Stuff between me and Beth is just that. Our business, so stay out of it. Got it?" 

"Loud and clear." Ed smiles as he looks down before looking back up. 

Jasper slaps a hand on his shoulder. The friendly gesture, a little guarded on Jasper's part. Ed wasn't the friend he thought he was. Ed was manifesting into a snake. Having the urge to keep him close, to see what he was dealing with, he may have to get him at his weak point, which was usually at a bar or club somewhere, filled with alcohol.  "How about we go out next weekend. Have fun like we used to…. Without the flirting… well you can flirt, obviously." 

Ed rolls his eyes. "Thanks for reminding me that I am still single." Then his smile suddenly widens as he seems to have an idea. "How about we make it even more fun? Invite Thomas along. Maybe I should at least get to know him. We can share Jasper stories. Maybe it will inspire my best man's speech." 

"I don't think his kind of stories will be of interest." Jasper scratches his head, as an uncomfortable feeling consumes him. "We mostly worked on the farm, fixing fences and stuff. Hardly riveting." He dreaded to think what tales Thomas would tell of their one hot summer together. There would be no coming back from that if word got out. 

"Well, invite him anyway. He's your friend after all." Ed insists. 

"I guess I can ask." Jasper shrugs, unable to think of a reason not to which wouldn't get his friend suspecting once again. It would seem that no matter how hard he would try, people kept on pushing him and Thomas together. Maybe fate actually had a plan.

"Good." Ed grins at Jasper. The man whom he called 'best friend', because for a long while that's what he was. But Ed sensed the change. Something felt different between them. Cracks were beginning to appear. He had told himself that he was ok that Beth, the woman he desired hadn't chosen him, until that night she did. Now it was all he could think about. Now he couldn't let it go. He would do anything it takes to make her see she had made the wrong choice. Even if he lost a friend in the process.