02. darling, there are rumors

02 | "You don't like what? The term darling?"

I bite the wooden length of the pencil between my lips

I bite the wooden length of the pencil between my lips. We only had to do only two pages for homework, but I needed the extra challenge for this upcoming unit. I had to beat Heeseung. Oh, right! I mentioned that this kind of determination stems back to our youth. What are we, seniors? Yeah, so, seven years ago! You see, we met in fifth grade. Starting out, we were... friends, I suppose. We've always been competitive spirits, but the true hatred started in sixth grade. Fifth grade was just the prelude to bigger problems.

In sixth grade, Heeseung was always a point below me. No matter what quiz or test, I was always the winner. That didn't mean I was at the top of the class, but we made it our own project to try and beat each other. Once Heeseung got tired of always finishing last, he decided it would be fun to yell at me in front of the whole class, making friendly competition into war. I can barely remember what childish tomfoolery he was growling about, but I remember not going to school for a whole week because I was embarrassed.

Since then, every insult and every remark has been used as an attack. Every test, whether it be 100s or bonus points, was the tie-breaker. That's why I can't give up. I won't let him be the ultimate winner, even if my heart is exhausted from running.

Thump, thump. Things fly against the window, sounding like thrown sticks before a loud "Moon Hayoon!" is heard. I slam my pencil against the prep book in anger. Who's trying to disrupt the only peace I get? Although I'd prefer to be reading those cute fiction books on my app, studying is my priority! Who's trying to disrupt that?!

Again, my name is barked in demand, calling me over. Finally deciding to see the fuss, I drag open my window, sticking my head out. "HA-" My right eye closes in shock. It grows in tingly sensation before the pain burns, my left eye seeing the tree branch fall to the ground. "-Yoon. Holy crap."

"What do you want, Sunoo?!" I slam my hands against the window frame, causing Sunoo to step back. "Do you really have to cause a ruckus while my family is sleeping?"

"I'm sorry, Hayoon, but have you checked your phone?" Sunoo seems almost out of breath, like he ran here from his house. "Heeseung hyung, he's, he's-"

"He's what, Sunoo? Spit it out!"