22. Fish Out of Water

Cleo, Emma, and I exited one of the theatre rooms at the cinema after having seen a horror movie involving zombies.

"That was so scary," Cleo told us.

"They were just people in rubber masks," Emma assured her.

"Yeah, and the blood was red food coloring and corn syrup," I nodded.

"Not those," Cleo shook her head, "The zombie in the laundromat that got electrocuted. She was wearing my pink top."

"I missed that," Emma said.

"And then the zombie on the bus that was dribbling slime. She was wearing my blue dress!"

"Not your exact dress."

"Well, it may as well have been. I've gotta do a clean-out. I cannot be seen wearing the same clothes as a zombie."

"Chillax, Cleo. I doubt the outfits in the movie are the same as your wardrobe. That's just all pure coincidence," I stated, "And second, the zombie deaths were mainly just dummies and the body parts were plastic and edible styrofoam."

"Too many details, Zoey," Cleo turned to me.

Emma nudged the both of us, getting our attention.

"What is it?" I asked her.

"What's happening?" Cleo wondered.

The three of us turned to find Rikki walking with Zane after having seen a rom-com film.

"Is that Rikki?" Cleo asked, "What's she doing walking out of 30 Days of Love? That's a romance movie."

"I thought Rikki wasn't into that particular genre," I stated, knowing she was more into action, sci-fi, and horror.

"What is she doing walking out with Zane?" Emma questioned but then shook it off, "She probably just bumped into him and is just being polite."

"Rikki's never polite," Cleo doubted the conclusion.

We were surprised when Zane wrapped an arm around Rikki as they exited the cinema. At first, I was curious about how they got together but didn't want to get myself yanked into the drama seeing that it wasn't any of my business, though I recalled Miss Chatham's suggestion that the girls and I stick close to one another no matter what. I decided to give Rikki time to tell the girls and me whenever she was ready.

🌊

At school the next day, Cleo and Emma informed Lewis about Rikki and Zane. He didn't believe that the two were dating since they were the polar opposite of each other. Lewis guessed Rikki and Zane ran into each other at the cinema. He theorized that Zane performed the Heimlich maneuver on Rikki after having choked on something.

The girls asked Lewis to spy on Rikki and Zane and report back to us. He refused to do such a thing and figured Rikki was waiting for an appropriate time to tell all of us. I didn't say much not wanting to get myself involved in the topic that neither of us had any business looking into.

"Hi, guys," Rikki smiled as she joined us.

"Hey, Rikki," I nodded at her, "How's it going?"

Cleo, Emma, and Lewis didn't reply to her trying to forget that they were talking about her and Zane together.

"Did someone die?" Rikki asked turning to the others.

"We were just talking about movies," Emma answered.