36. | mean people.

Brooks Mason

"I'm telling you, a dinner is a good idea for his birthday!" London says scribbling down some notes.

"It's too fancy though," Mon says. "Marcus doesn't seem like the fancy type,"

As you might be able to pick up, we're planing Mark's birthday. The sixteenth is coming up in two days and we need to hurry up and plan it.

"Agreed," Nick says. "What about a pool party?"

"No, we would have to rent out a whole pool and I don't think they have the availability for that," I say.

"Where's Grace? She probably has some good ideas," Nick asks unwrapping a Fruit by the Foot.

"With her boyfriend," Zay comes up behind us. "I just saw them walking together,"

"Hi Zay," We all say smiling at him.

"Hi!" He says smiling back at us and then looking at his girlfriend. "Hi Lonny," He says planting a kiss on her head.

"Oh by the way Livvs told me to tell you guys that she's going to be here in a few minutes," He says putting his arm around London's shoulder.

"Good," I say sighing. Why is this so damn hard?

Marcus has been in the library since yesterday, doing homework and reading. After what happened last night, I don't blame him.

And to be honest even I was scared I wasn't going to be able to help him.

This should be easy, he's my best friend, we both know so much about each other.

Yet my mind is only blank when trying to plan his birthday.

I think Marcus is the first real friend I've ever had. Growing up it was easy for me to make friends, but hard for me to keep them.

When someone ruins my expectations of them I immediately drop them. I make up things in my head, how a person should act and shouldn't depending on their personality and once they don't act that way I drop them.

It used to be horrible in elementary to middle school. I would go through three or four friends in a month like it was nothing.

Boys, girls, non-binary's. Everyone.

It's my toxic trait. One of three.

I expected to not be friends with any of the people I'm sitting with right now for this long. But that's one expectation that happy didn't come true.

I was scared shitless when I first started becoming close to everyone. Scared that I would just leave them, but I'm glad it didn't happen now.

I'm still scared though. The thought alone makes my brain run faster then a cheetah.

"Hey guys!" Killer says walking up to our table.

"Hi Grace," Nick responds first. "How's your boyfriend?"

"He's good," She's smiles. "Can I have piece?"