Chapter 31 - I don't know...

Lucy's POV

It doesn't take me long to reach the lake house and, when I do, I'm unsurprised to find Justin sat on the rocks again, just the same as last time I was here.

My anger and frustration at his stupidity and recklessness slowly ebbs away when I see him. His eyebrows are furrowed into a frown as he silently stares out at the water.

Something's wrong with him.

"Hey," I call out as I walk over to him. When I sit down on the rocks beside him, I remove my shoes and socks and let my feet dip into the water. The sudden chill of the freezing water against my skin causes a shiver to run up my spine until I get used to the temperature.

"What are you doing here?" he asks, his frown momentarily disappearing before returning to his face.

"I could ask you the same question," I reply, kicking my legs back and forth slightly, not caring that the water's beginning to soak through the bottom of my jeans.

"Yeah but, I mean, you're alone," he says, referring to the fact that I just ran the fifteen minute journey here (the trip's much faster when you're in wolf form) on my own.

"So are you," I reply, frowning slightly myself now.

"Yeah, well, I'm not the one with some crazy ass rogue wanting me dead," he mutters.

"You're right," I agree. "We all are."... Thanks to me.

"Not as much as you, though," he reminds me, his frown deepening slightly, but I'm not angry at him for pointing this out. It is true, after all.

"Yeah, well, I'm not alone anymore, am I?" I say, leaning over to nudge him slightly, trying to make him smile. "You're here now."

"Huh, like I'm much use to anyone," he mutters, causing me to look over at him.

To be honest I'm shocked; never in my life have I heard Justin put himself down like that. Something's definitely not right.

"Justin... what's wrong?" I ask, not liking his attitude. This is Justin for god's sake, and he's just acting so unlike Justin it scares me. It's not right.

"Nothing," he replies quickly, but there's no way in hell I believe him.

"Justin," I say, my voice serious.

"It's just..." he sighs. "It's just what kind of Alpha am I going to be? I couldn't even protect my own damn ma-" he cuts off before finishing his sentence but it doesn't matter, I already know what he was going to say. He was going to call me his mate. I feel my cheeks heat slightly before he continues. "I couldn't protect you."

"Yes you could," I murmur softly. "You did. You found me... I would be dead right now if it wasn't for you."

"You shouldn't have even been taken in the first place," he argues.

"Justin, you didn't know," I sigh, wanting him to stop beating himself up about this. "You couldn't have known."

"But I should have!" he says. "I should've known."

"How?" I ask, keeping my eyes connected to his. "I was the one that ran off."

"Yeah, because of me," he replies instantly, and I quickly look away as the memory of the kiss surfaces in my brain. My cheeks are now on fire. "It was my fault." His voice breaks halfway through, causing me to look back at him just in time to see him turning his gaze back out to the water.